nordic kayaks squall

More
9 years 6 months ago #22047 by topswimmer
As you can guess from my user name I'm new to the black art of surfski'ing. I was hoping to get feedback from anyone out there who paddles a Nordic kayaks squall!
I bought my 1st ski in Oct 2013 a epicv8 in club spec as a way to keep fit after continual knee injuries acquired during 20 years of triathlon.
I was persuaded to upgrade after about 9 months to "something a bit faster" or should that be "a lot tip pier".
River & lake use in the squall is fine but on the sea especially going across any kind of swell I find it very difficult to keep my balance. If have recently started to use a Swiss ball to hopefully improve my balance.
I've briefly paddled a V10sport & found it more stable than my squall,also paddled a fenn blue Finn which felt as stable as the V8!
Have I made the step up too soon? Any advice/comments gratefully accepted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22049 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic nordic kayaks squall
Look for a ski you're most comfortable in for a large cross section of conditions you plan to paddle in unless you can afford to buy 2 skis :-)

I used to paddle an Epic V12 but found it too tippy in mixed conditions or 3-4m swell. Dropped back to a new Epic V10 as I predominately paddle 50-60km per week open ocean & can now comfortable paddle in most conditions but have sacrificed a little bit of speed on the flat.

Other skis you might want to test:

Think Evo II
Vajda Hawx 46
FENN Swordfish
Stellar SEI
Epic new V10 (or V10L if you're under 80kgs)

Goodluck

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
9 years 6 months ago #22051 by topswimmer
Replied by topswimmer on topic nordic kayaks squall
Cheers for the reply portmanm.
Its a tricky balance(no pun intended )as i have limied time to paddle due to work/young family.The initial idea was just to use the ski as a fitness tool, but have found it quite addictive!!
I would love to own multiple ski's but finances/storage are the 2 main issues.
Looks like i'm gonna have to stick at it.
If anyone is interested i will post a brief review of the NK squall albeit from a beginers point of view as i have yet to see 1 anywhere.
Looking forward to a cold wet autumn/winter here in the UK. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwhatmough

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22052 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic nordic kayaks squall
Hi Topswimmer! If you've been paddling for 9 months you aren't that new. The Nordic Squall is a beauty. You should be able to cope with it soon. It is described as a beginner ski. What size rudder do you have?
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Rod Thomas. Reason: Confusion with skis!!

More
9 years 6 months ago #22053 by topswimmer
I currently have what they call the "all round"rudder. Not quite as big as the Epic surf rudder i had on the V8.
Iwas a bit surprised when they advertised it as a beginners ski as i found it a world away from the V8/Bluefinn in terms of stability.
As i said before i will just have to keep plugging away.
Cheers Rod

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #22054 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic nordic kayaks squall
You might find the 'surf rudder' from Nordic gives you better control and stability in waves. But if there is a lot of weed there then may be get a weed deflector too

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22056 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic nordic kayaks squall
I paddled a Squall in Stockholm last week. Will try to resubmit my piece tomorrow as half of it disappeared!

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Marieski. Reason: Half my entry disappeared! Will try again tomorrow.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22057 by kwhatmough
Replied by kwhatmough on topic nordic kayaks squall
It would be great to hear anyone's thoughts on the NK Squall. They seem to be elusive in North America, yet the 5.8m (19 ft) length makes it a candidate for someone with a small garage...

New boat, same old engine.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by kwhatmough. Reason: typo

More
9 years 6 months ago #22058 by topswimmer
Hi KWHATMOUGH
i RECENTLY bought the NK Squall & from what ive discovered so far:
Very light for the price mine is the C spec heaviest spec & weighs in at 14-14.5 kg quite a bit less than the V10sport!
Very similar footbaord to the Epics, Anderson bailer which seems to work as well as the Epic great leash point again ala Epic
Semi covered rudder yoke so a quick inspection can be made prior to setting out.seat/bucket not too deep & remounts as easy as my V8 (although i've had plenty of practice)on the flat i reckon its about 1km/hr faster than my V8 but probably no different yet in the ocean as im still getting to grips with it.Well made (hand-made)Not sure about distribution in the US but good for smaller garage/ shipping container!

More
9 years 6 months ago #22061 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic nordic kayaks squall
Topswimmer, looks like a really great ski. I'm jealous! I would stick with it. My guess is you'll be enjoying it in no time. If you haven't already, I suggest attending a paddle clinic. I recommend trying the surf rudder also.
Good luck!

More
9 years 6 months ago #22062 by topswimmer
Just a few pictures of my NK Squall.
Attachments:

More
9 years 6 months ago #22085 by Fuyang Guy
Replied by Fuyang Guy on topic nordic kayaks squall
The 'similarity' to Epic outfitting is more than just that, a great deal of the outfitting is either a direct copy or comes from our moulds (Epic's) sold by our suppliers without our consent.
Nordic Kayaks have their boats made by Peisheng Boat Co in Quandao Hu (1000 islands Lake) this is less than 100km from the Epic factory.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22087 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic nordic kayaks squall

Fuyang Guy wrote: The 'similarity' to Epic outfitting is more than just that, a great deal of the outfitting is either a direct copy or comes from our moulds (Epic's) sold by our suppliers without our consent.
Nordic Kayaks have their boats made by Peisheng Boat Co in Quandao Hu (1000 islands Lake) this is less than 100km from the Epic factory.

Please dont let this turn into another Epic - V - Flying Eagle - V Stellar saga. :whistle:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #22091 by topswimmer
:( sorry you guys I didn't mean to open old wounds. Was just trying to give people an idea of what it was like.
Copy writing etc is for professional folk to deal with & whole different subject in all sports & other facets of every day life. Great to see though that people are passionate about a sport I'm just learning about.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22095 by Fuyang Guy
Replied by Fuyang Guy on topic nordic kayaks squall
Topswimmer, you need not apologise. I'm the one who was out of line, you were, as you said, discussing your boat.

AR, you too are correct, this is not the place.

Sorry, I am usually able to keep myself in check.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22098 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi Topswimmer, where are you based? I'm in Paisley, and pretty much the only surfski paddler around here,there is a Scottish Surfski group on Facebook, who are mostly based on the East Coast, Dunbar,Edinburgh, with others scattered around.The two people who run the group,Kevin and Lizzelle, are both Nk owners and I believe they are now the rep's for Scotland and Northern England. If your up this way you should look them up,they are quite keen racers and I believe they also do some open water swimming in Dunbar.

Stuart

More
9 years 6 months ago #22101 by topswimmer
Hi baldy old troll.
I'm in Lancashire so quite a way away!
I know KeV & Lizelle &they have both been very helpful/encouraging since I started surfski'ing it was KeV who talked me into upgrading (I've still not forgiven him)

More
9 years 6 months ago #22102 by topswimmer
Hi baldy old troll.
I'm in Lancashire so quite a way away!
I know KeV & Lizelle &they have both been very helpful/encouraging since I started surfski'ing it was KeV who talked me into upgrading (I've still not forgiven him)

More
9 years 6 months ago #22107 by Baldy-Old-Troll
I was going to tell you about the Paddle show in Perth,as Rough Water Gear are going to be there, but it's a bit of a mission from Lancashire, ahh well, maybe see you on the water some day.

Oh,talking about Lizzelle, she's in 7th place overall and first female after day one of the Glasgow-Edinburgh race.

Stuart.

Latest Forum Topics