Pain in the ass

More
9 years 5 months ago #22108 by shu
Pain in the ass was created by shu
Help! I have a recurring problem with focused pain on my left sit bone after paddling about a hour. This really cuts into long distance paddles (which is what I enjoy) where I feel great and want to keep going but for the pain in my butt. Interestingly, the bumpier it is the less this is a problem. The flatter it is, the more it hurts. But, it is ONLY on the left side. I am pretty clear that I sit a bit asymmetrically in the bucket and I know this must play into it. I paddle with 3mm padded shorts as well as about a 3mm firm pad in the seat. I don't want to add a lot of height by going with a big thick pad, and again I am only dealing with pain on one side. I've experimented with some other pads but haven't found anything that resolves it. Any magic ideas out there??? Would much appreciate it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22109 by Coast Steve
Replied by Coast Steve on topic Pain in the ass
Hi Shu,

I'm not sure if this is going to be of any help to you but I had the same sort of thing.

I tried a 1/2" foam pad first and it worked but really cut back on my rotation so I took it out.

You may be leaning back in the bucket and cutting off circulation like I used to do.

I then found I was also pushing too hard into the back of the seat bucket with both heels at the same time (to keep the boat stable.)

It was stopping some of the blood flow in the rear end and putting my left hip to sleep (legs too) after 1/2 and hour or so of paddling.

Now I just sit relaxed in the bucket without pushing back with both feet.

You still get good rotation one leg push at a time and it just slides you back and forth in the bucket.

Since the power is transferred into the hull through your feet anyway it didn't change my speed by easing off on that added force.

If it increased when it's rougher conditions it may be that you move around in the bucket more and it lets the blood flow a little. Since you ease up on sitting on that same spot and putting pressure on it constantly.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this will help you out but might be something you are doing.

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Coast Steve.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22110 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Pain in the ass
Then, if you get pain in both sit bones, have a look through my album here,

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.574551...&type=1&l=1be4e01fa1

a little bit of application and you can paddle your ski in comfort all day if you want to. I've done 5-6 hours no problems at all.

A foam pad weighs next to nothing and will not hinder your rotation or lift your height to any extent and it will relieve pressure and fit you to your ski giving added stability and comfort if done correctly. A pad that is the same thickness throughout will not solve the problem, you need a pad that relieves pressure from the sit bones and supports you better in other areas. But get your alignment checked out first..
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

• blitzemall
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22111 by blitzemall
Replied by blitzemall on topic Pain in the ass
I just posted on this same topic and have found a solution that seems to work.
I tested it successfully last night on a six hour paddle.

I wanted to make sure I was able to maintain rotation without creating any friction and knew I may need to make adjustments on the fly for a long race coming up around the corner.

I took a piece of micro cell foam and soaked in canola/olive oil for a few days. I paddled for about two hours before placing it in between my lower back and the bucket. It completely relieved the pain while simultaneously allowing for solid rotation with no friction. After another hour or so, I moved it under my arse to relieve discomfort from sitting and then later back to my lower back.
This was about as easy an adjustment as I could think of to make and it definitely works on the fly. I have no problem in the bucket under 2.5 hours, So this allows me to make a simple adjustment for longer training sessions or races. When you know you're going out on a long one, just stick it under your bungee on your rear deck.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22112 by rlh608
Replied by rlh608 on topic Pain in the ass
From www.mastersrowing.org:

Naturally Harvard oarsmen thought of themselves as quite clever when they discovered that greasing their leather pants allowed them to slide back and forth with great ease and utilizing their whole body to drive the oars helped demolish Yale. Not to be outdone, those spunky Yalies tried oatmeal.

Current ski: Stellar SR Advantage

More
9 years 5 months ago #22113 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Pain in the ass
Shu, you mentioned you know you sit asymmetrically, this could be a hip/leg/back issue slightly out of alignment. I suffer from something similar every few months and affects my balance, rotation and leg drive (uneven). Chiropractor sorts me out, basically hips slightly out by couple of cms causing one leg slightly short than the other. I now know my symptoms and know corrective action. It's not a back cracking adjustment :-)

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
9 years 5 months ago #22149 by shu
Replied by shu on topic Pain in the ass
Thanks for all of the feedback. Seeing that I have practically paid for numerous chiros and physios annual salaries for years; I know that they help but have not resolved my asymmetry. I am going to continue to work with my chiro/ski coach to refine my technique; and I have just tracked down one of the remaining Lincke seat pads which I used in my old boat; in which I did not have this issue. So, I am hoping that the combination of refinement and a new pad will solve it... If so will be a VERY happy guy. I'll report back. Thanks again!

More
9 years 5 months ago #22152 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Pain in the ass
Shu,

If the Lincke pad does not work for you, try a "Skwoosh Extreme Kayak Seat Pad Cushion". It's slightly taller than the Lincke pad so it does negatively affect your stability more, but I find it resolves all "sit bones" issues. The top covering, especially when treated with 303, allows for rotation. I use this with a V12 but remove it when I need more stability.

Greg Stamer

Latest Forum Topics