Marine VHF Radio

More
9 years 5 months ago #22523 by Mjwashington
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good yet small VHF Radio. I'm keen to have the best safety options available on me when I'm on the ocean that can fit inside one of my PFD pockets, hence suggesting small. I carry a EPIRB and think that a radio would be another good safety tool, just in case.

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22526 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Marine VHF Radio
I carry an Icom M36 radio. 6 Watts of power; it's waterproof, floats and fits perfectly into the front pocket of my PFD.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 5 months ago #22528 by CoastPop
Replied by CoastPop on topic Marine VHF Radio
Rob, do you put it in a waterproof pouch?

More
9 years 5 months ago #22530 by [email protected]
No I don't. It's rated waterproof and I rinse it after each paddle. It's important to test it regularly. My last one died after about 6 years usage, which I thought was fair.

The reason I don't put it in a pouch is that it then becomes much more awkward to use. I prefer having the buttons in direct contact with my fingers.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 5 months ago #22533 by Christopher
Replied by Christopher on topic Marine VHF Radio
Random VHF tips:
Lo power transmits @ 1 watt, even if it is a 6 watt radio. So turn to hi power if no response
Learn the basic distress calls
Learn which channels to operate on
If may be worth going to your local lifesaving club and doing a regular radio checks. They are on duty during school holidays & weekends from 10-6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], Ric

More
9 years 5 months ago #22534 by [email protected]
All good points!

Rob

More
5 days 15 hours ago #40894 by holgerh
Replied by holgerh on topic Marine VHF Radio
A radio with DSC and GPS built-in may be a little bulkier but well worth the huge advantages of DSC (text):

- dedicated one touch distress button
- automatically sends your GPS location as a text message
- sounds alarm on receiving radio's which needs to be acknowledged, so it cannot be overheard
- received by all marine VHF radio's, regardless of which channel they may be monitoring
- can be used to navigate to waypoints or distress locations
- can send Position Requests to your buddies which can reply automatically
- can send individual call messages to your buddies
- monitored by shore stations using repeater stations (Cape Town Radio)
- better range than voice transmissions
- not affected by background noise, wind or water on the mic

The Recent RS-38M offers all of these benefits and fits comfortably into the front pocket of my Mocke Racer PFD. I do not notice it during remounts. It is IPX7 waterproof and floats.

recent-radio.co.za/
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics