surgery on the hump on 1g Hukis?

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22557 by 1xsculler
The hump on a 1g Huki is a little tall to get good leg drive, IMHO. Have any of you tried surgery to lower the height of the hump about 4" or have you done any successful cockpit surgery on any ski?? It seems like it would be a fairy straight forward job for a good DIYer but it would probably ruin the resale value of the ski.

I'd make a couple of cuts along the sides of the cockpit and at the height of the hump, cut a section out of the peak of the hump, bend the front and back halves of the cockpit floor down so the cut edges overlapped at the new desired height, pop rivet the overlapped edges together, glass over the rivets and the voids left on the sides of the cockpit and finish the glassed areas down.

Selling this ski and finding another one where I am is nearly impossible. Buying a new one and having it shipped here is not in the budget.

NE suggestions?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by 1xsculler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22562 by Kayaker Greg
I see you have an SES. Everything feels like it has a high hump after paddling the SES. My Swordfish hump felt to high when I got it, once I made my seat that moved me slightly forward and gradually started to move the foot plate back I got used to it and now find its perfect, took a little getting used to and also ended up moving the footplate back on the SES as my body adapted. I would make sure you really need to lower the hump before cutting it up.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics