New Paddle for Larger, Older Paddler

More
9 years 4 months ago #22633 by junkyardski
I'm 64, 6' 2", 225 pounds, have arthritic hips and mostly paddle flat water. My current paddle is an Epic large wing (that I've used since 2007) and my ski is a Think Evo. Would my rough-water skills be improved with a different paddle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22667 by Stew
I always suggest that paddlers error on the smaller size when selecting paddles. You may find a medium paddle will suit you better. If you can, try get to your local kayak store and try some paddles out. So many designs, shapes, shaft types etc, you're spolit for choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: junkyardski

More
9 years 4 months ago #22670 by nell
"Would my rough-water skills be improved with a different paddle?"

Can't say if they'll be improved or not. An Epic Large is a big blade no matter your size. Going to a smaller blade like a medium or small/medium will likely be easier, i.e. less tiring to use and it's what most all ski paddlers use. Going to a smaller blade will also likely make you feel a bit less stable, though, unless you make up for it by slightly increasing your cadence - which should come naturally with the smaller blade anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: junkyardski

More
9 years 4 months ago #22671 by nell
"Would my rough-water skills be improved with a different paddle?"

Can't say if they'll be improved or not. An Epic Large is a big blade no matter your size. Going to a smaller blade like a medium or small/medium will likely be easier, i.e. less tiring to use and it's what most all ski paddlers use. Going to a smaller blade will also likely make you feel a bit less stable, though, unless you make up for it by slightly increasing your cadence - which should come naturally with the smaller blade anyway.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22680 by stretchstruwig
Started to get the same feeling after the age of 50 -- now at 55 6'6" tall and 95kg and my paddling has gotten alot more comfortable since i shortened my blade length to 212cm and gone down in size - using a Flyer Maxpaddle ( smaller than Epic meduim mid wing)
Stability has improved as i can get a quicker rotation and average speed has increased ie. giving some youngsters a go for their money !!!
in saying all this yu still have to try out and see how yu go !! good luck mate !!!

More
9 years 3 months ago #22956 by junkyardski
Looks like Santa is bringing me a Braca IV min in a fancy Braca paddle bag. Hope I can sleep on Christmas eve!

Latest Forum Topics