Flat water speeds

More
9 years 4 months ago #22718 by paddlefun
Flat water speeds was created by paddlefun
I am curious about what average speeds the 'top guns' paddle on flat water with no tidal or wind input. I have never done any racing and have not trained with anyone outside of my own little paddling group so am not sure what others are doing.

On a good day I can possibly average 11km/hour over 10km on the flat. Over a number of flat paddles I probably average in the low 10's.

I see Sean Rice averaged 17km/hour on a great downwind afternoon in Perth during the week.

So if it was flat as a tack out what would Rice and Mocke being paddling at?

What are the top guys you paddle with averaging?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22720 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Flat water speeds
Most of the very good paddlers will average over 7 mph (11.3 km/h) on marathon flat-water races; the top flat-water paddlers (Greg Barton, Matt Streib, etc.) will average over 8.5 mph (13.8 km/h). Of course, things like current, water depth, turns, portages, etc. will all impact these numbers.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by red_pepper.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22726 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Flat water speeds
We just had a race in Western Australia called a Pairs Enduro where two paddlers work together washriding one another over 14km on flat water. The top two pairs (paddling K1's) averaged 13.9 and 14.02 km/hr. (the winning pair were actually sprint paddlers who are members of our institute of sport, Reece Baker and Stephen Bird).

So I would suggest the professional ski paddlers would be somewhere in the 14-15 bracket?

We race in 7 divisions in Marathon and to be in Division one, you need to be paddling around 12 plus.

As far as ski's go my partner Mark Lawson and I were the first ski pair averaging 13.2km/hr. (Mark was waiting for his K1 to return from World champs in the US)

I have found the top paddlers speed doesn't really change that much when they switch to ski's. I can average the same in my ski and K1 over these middle distances, but over longer distances I am much more comfortable in a K1.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by AR_convert.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22735 by kwhatmough
Replied by kwhatmough on topic Flat water speeds
This might also be of interest:
northcoastkayaks.com/2014/11/26/epic-sur...on-with-greg-barton/

(These are theoretical times for a flat 10km. To get speed in km/h just divide 600 by time in minutes.)

New boat, same old engine.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by kwhatmough. Reason: added math

More
9 years 3 months ago #22777 by swimskier
Replied by swimskier on topic Flat water speeds
For comparison K1 5000 m world records:

Eirik Veras Larsen 2009 18:00 (16.67 km/h)
Bridgitte Hartley 2009 20:10 (14:88 km/h)

pretty impressive.

Nelo 560 SCS, Nelo Cinco E XXL, Epic V8 Ultra,

Previous skis: Epic V14 Elite, Fenn Elite Glide Carbon, Epic V10 Ultra G2, EPIC V10L Elite G1,
Previous K1s: Nelo Cinco SCS XXXL, Vajda Infusion 2 XL Elite, Epic Legacy XXL Marathon,Elio Sprint-P Marathon

Latest Forum Topics