is there a new fenn swordfish coming out ?

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #23327 by sv607
was reading some posts on the net. not sure on how old they are. it was talking about a new model Fenn Swordfish is there a new model coming out or been released. wouldn't mind getting the newest model. has anyone got any photos of the 2015 Fenn SwordFish i know its out. just cant find any photos more so the cockpit area where they have done some mods to it

thanks in advance

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by sv607.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23329 by [email protected]
I have an off-the-record reply from Travis Smith, but he wants to get the "official" version from Keith Fenn, so I'll post it when I get it. Hopefully later today.

Suffice to say there is a new version, but it's not a longer hull!

I can say though that the footwell and hump are lowered (like the latest Elite S), which at the very least should make the boat even more stable.

But as I say, when I get the official "release notes", I'll post them.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607, mikatahiti

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
9 years 1 month ago #23330 by sv607
thanks rob. looking forward to your Post. will order the new swordfish as soon as its available

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #23333 by Kayaker Greg
If the hull is not longer, I hope the seat is moved back just slightly, because the nose does tend to bury a bit easily, probably 25mm would do it so that it doesn't trade off to much the ease of getting onto small runners, just my opinion, but I'm no boat designer or builder :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607

More
9 years 1 month ago #23338 by Ric
I paddled one last weekend in (unfortunately) extremely flat Fish Hoek conditions (less than 1ft waves).

Good news for me! The hump is much lower. I cannot paddle the old SF due to not being able to reach the pedals properly (short legs huh?! :S ). But I had the new one on the 3rd shortest setting and was quite comfy in it. I also think the bucket might be slightly smaller.

Looked like less volume, but we didn't compare side to side with the old one.

As for how it compares in the water, no idea, cos I haven't the experience. However it did feel like it had great secondary stability and was very manoeuvrable.

Compared to the V10S, I found it didn't track the small waves quite as well.

Hoping to do a Spark vs Swordfish shootout soon as I'm in the market for a new boat B)

More
9 years 1 month ago #23342 by mario
Morning,
I have the opposite feeling re the Swordfish to Kayaker Greg.
I absolutely love the ski.No bracing, doddles along at a fair speed and lets me go out in any conditions but I feel that the seat should be about 2.5 cm further forward!I find that if I lean forward I catch small runners a lot easier.Almost like when catching a wave on a longboard.I don't find the nose burying an issue at all.
If there is a new one I most definitely want to try it....and I thought my present Swordfish was my life companion!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23343 by Kayaker Greg
Easy to move your position forward with a seat pad, impossible to move it back beyond the back of the seat. In fact you can even shift your weight forward to help you to get onto runners if you feel you need too.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23348 by mario
Hi Kayaker Greg,
That's exactly what I have done...put a bum pad (the ones with the two holes)further forward than I would normally.It keeps me a little further forward and with some weight shifting it seems to work.Still feels it would work better with the seat further forward.
Mario

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23354 by Kayaker Greg
Hi Mario, I too have been using a seatpad, for the first few years I had to because I found the hump to high and forward (a common problem in a lot of skis for me other than my SES) and I found the forward position worked well in my SEL which has a lot of volume in the nose to catch runners. A friend of mine a similar build to me tried a more forward position in his Evo2 and felt it improved the ski for him as well. In more recent times I've gradually been decreasing my leg length setting in my Swordfish so my knees are higher, this has improved my paddling position with my posture being more upright/forward easier and I feel I'm able to get the power into the paddle better, a long with this I've been able to reduce the thickness of the pad behind me which has improved the "feel" I have of getting the ski going from a standing start in flat water conditions, getting the bow up and keep it moving and maintain that speed easier, it seems they are quite sensitive to minor weight shifts, or perhaps its all in our mind? :) I have not noticed any reduced ability to catch small runners, in fact being able to get quicker acceleration, higher cadence and power has helped.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23363 by [email protected]
Can't get any feedback from the source...

But I've been told that part of the reason for the modification of bucket and hump is to try to cure the dead-leg phenomenon that some people find with the Fenn bucket. I've personally always found the Fenn bucket to be the most comfortable!

If Fenn Kayaks do release any info, I'll be sure to post it.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607, Hansie, mikatahiti

More
9 years 1 month ago #23372 by Ric
Rob, Pete's got a demo in the shop. Tried it again this morning, and fully intend ordering my Carbon Hybrid real soon.

Now that I can fit into a Swordie, will no longer have to settle for an elite level Spark. Quite happy to be able to sit in a very stable boat instead.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23431 by [email protected]
Here some unofficial tidbits about the new SF:

- Seat slightly forward.
- Rudder slightly forward.
- Slightly reduced volume
- Dropped footwell
- Dropped hump
- leash attachment point added

And I'm told this adds up to a boat with improved stability and performance...

Caveat: I've not paddled it yet myself! So this is all hearsay.

Rob

The following user(s) said Thank You: msw580, Kayaker Greg

More
9 years 1 month ago #23441 by Kayaker Greg
This sounds good, despite my comments earlier about moving the seat back slightly, moving it forward along with the rudder makes sense if they are loosing a little volume from its fat azz.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23573 by crallan
Oh, the waiting game... I'm so curious! Any news on the subject? Anyone tried the new model? Any info about the fit, would sure like a more snugg fit...

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23576 by MaxB
Greg, I see you own both a Swordfish and a V10L. These are two boats I am interested in. Is yours the current (new) V10L? If so How would you compare the SF and the V10L? What do you use each for?
Thanks for your advice.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23577 by Kayaker Greg
Hi Max, I had the old V10L and have sold it. I have not paddled the new one although I have a few friends that paddle them and are very happy with them, (one did have to sell his new V10L due to getting a dead leg and not getting comfortable with the seat) I think the Swordfish would be more on the intermediate side and the V10L a little more advanced (but again I have not paddled one yet). I would like to try one but seriously doubt that I would buy one so have not really gone out of my way to try one to date.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23580 by Fath2o
This discussion has peaked my interest in looking for a nice second hand Swordy due to the great reviews about their wave riding performance. My concern is their are often comments about the tendency for the Swordy to nose dive. I have looked at them but not had an opportunity to paddle one. The volume of the nose does appear to be rather low. At 100 kgs. I'm thinking I might be to heavy for it?

My primary question is, would a Swordy have to much of tendency to nose dive in serious open ocean gale force downwinders?

The XT does not have enough volume for me but my old Evo does quite well in these conditions. Wondering if the Swordy would have better
wave riding characteristics too?

Thanks for any and all replies.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23582 by Love2ski
I borrowed a new hybrid swordfish from Oceanpaddler and had a 30 minute paddle in about 25knots of wind. I paddle mainly a v10 sport new shape and also have a new v10 ultra. I like fenn but struggled with the seat. The new swordfish was very comfortable and i think they have cured the dead leg issue.

Not surprisingly the swordfish felt right in between the sport and v10 for stability. At low speeds it has equal to or even slightly more primary stability than the sport. This surprised me. It feels very settled. However it has less secondary stability compared to the sport. The sport has massive secondary stability which I was used too. Accordingly when I exceeded the primary stability in the swordfish, whamo over I went.

Going downwind in 1 foot chop and 25 knots the swordfish was really loose. This was a bit disconcerting at first because the epics tend to track in a straight line. However I imagine that once I became used to the swordfish I would love this looseness. The difference in looseness between the epics and the swordfish was pronounced.

The major difference between epic and fenn is price. In Australia an ultra epic costs $4700 and weighs 12.5kg. A Hybrid Fenn costs $3500 and also weighs 12.5kgs. I think that now the seating has been sorted out on the fenn price will become more of a factor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: msw580, crallan

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #23595 by crallan
Great info! How do you compare it to the 'old' SF? (if you have tried it that is...)

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #23598 by Michael Smedley
I did own the original SF several years ago when I started out and it was great, however I have not paddled one since. I did paddle the new model last weekend for about 3 minutes, probably not long enough to qualify for a full review, but long enough to notice some fundamental changes.

The seat is very Epic like in style/feel, very different to the normal Fenn shape. Personally I am fine in the the standard Fenn seats, however there are many who complain of problems. If this is the case the new seat could be the solution.

The boat is silly stable, feels like you could use it as a stand up paddle board. Seems like they have also made some modifications to the deck and catch area too.

Its a nice ocean boat for the intermediate paddler and I feel Fenn will sell plenty of these, especially as Epic are rumoured to be putting their red tips up to 5k. Massive saving on the Fenn.

It will be interesting to see how people adopt the new pricing for Epic products. Epic make a good product, but I guess the demand for the product will regulate the price. Fenns timing with the new seat design may be spot on to give people options, a $1500 saving on the similar layup of the Fenn Hybrid.

For the record, Im not bias/loyal to any brand. I have owned/own Epic/Fenn/Vadja/Think and many more. I generally purchase and trade one boat per year. I tend to choose what feels best for me as my skill level improves and how well I am taken care of by the Dealer/Manufacturer.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Michael Smedley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crallan

Latest Forum Topics