is there a new fenn swordfish coming out ?

More
9 years 1 month ago #23602 by vikingsurfer
How suitable will the new Swordfish be for a 95kg paddler? With reduced volume and all...

How much/little do you who have tested it wheigh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23603 by Wiid
I own a "old" SF for close on 3 months now and have done about 10+ downwinds on it in small to huge conditions. I weigh 98kg. Yes it does submarine a little. But you learn to swift your weight around to avoid it doing so. Lean back bury the tail. Lean forward on the crest of a run and this boat just guns it down the face.

Fantastic boat.

BUT I can see that this will become a problem in the new SF if they reduced the already low nose volume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
9 years 1 month ago #23604 by Kayaker Greg
I don't know but I expect the volume to be reduced from its fat ass, hoping so anyway, would make sense seeing as the seat and rudder have been moved forward slightly.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23607 by tony h
in the market for a light intermediate ski
current such ski is v10 sport performance layup (16kg)
also paddle v10 2G ultra (12kg) if flatter conditions.

have owned old SF & sold it as I couldn't get comfortable in the seat
so was very interested to paddle new SF

agree with Love2ski & Michael Smedley - impressive update
have to date regularly lamented my inability to modify any fenn seat to prevent dead leg

this new seat is the first fenn seat that doesn't do that for me - well done fenn :-)
the new Sword' felt like a 'bulked up' spark with its deck changes & was a pleasure to paddle.

found speed / stability to be between v10 sport & new v10 (closer to sport)

as I consider a light intermediate ski for downwinds (>10knots +), I will certainly be considering the SF due to the price savings in Australia - $1800 cheaper to buy carbon SF (10.5kg) versus elite v10 sport (10.8kg).
have loved my v10 sport in bigger conditions but can't see myself paying $6,000 for carbon layup, especially since I have misgivings about the lack of gelcoat (black)

would also consider a new carbonology zest but no demos available locally & would need carbonology to improve the handles they are using currently.

like Michael I don't buy only one brand - currently have a epic v7 on order for children & beginner friends/family who want to paddle

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
9 years 1 month ago #23610 by JC
Carbonology is also in the process of designing an updated Vault ski - along the same lines as the new Zest but for lighter paddlers.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23623 by crallan
Scary Lary! I just ordered a new 2015 carbon SF because of this tread, never seen one in the flesh! Sure hope it's nice! I loved the old model and hopefully I'll love this even more... :S

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23627 by Mark Mac
Hi, new to the forum. I have seen info that suggests Fenn make a wide seat version of the swordfish. Can anyone verify this, and if so, is the new version coming out wide as well??
thanks

More
9 years 1 month ago #23628 by [email protected]
Just spoke to Travis at Fenn - the answer is:

They used to make a wide-seat version, but there's only one version now which is the new shape... ...and the new shape's seat is wider than the old shape's narrow seat, but he couldn't say whether it's as wide as the old wide-seat!!!!

I'm trying to get them to give us the specs on the new shape, but I guess they're too busy churning the boats out...! I'll see if I can find one that I can measure myself.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas, Mark Mac, mikatahiti

More
9 years 1 month ago #23629 by jagter
O dear. A wider seat means I'll have to bite the bullet and get an elite for my next ski.

I hate sliding around in a wide seat, it really throws out my stability and kills confidence.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23630 by Mark Mac
Thanks for that Robin.
I would be really interested to see the stats on the new seat. I tried the old one and was jammed in, as a result I paddle a Fenn LS.
A new shipment is being imported into NZ in the next few months, so would be great to order one

More
9 years 1 month ago #23631 by crallan
A WIDER seat?! What have i done... The old one is allready to wide! Please Rob I'll ship a snickers bar to the end of the world if someone can post some mesurements!

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23633 by Atlas
That's great news. I might be able to pick up a cheap carbon swordy when everyone else "upgrades" to the new version for fat arses. I love the fit of my vac glass swordy but wouldn't mind a bit less weight and a little more stiffness. The last thing I want is a loose fit. There are already heaps of boats out there with that feature.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
9 years 1 month ago #23634 by crallan
Maybe I'll just eat the snickers-bar myself and adapt my behind to the new fatass version...

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23635 by Kayaker Greg
Oh no don't need a wider seat here either, already have pads on the sides of my Swordfish :(

More
9 years 1 month ago #23636 by [email protected]
Hahahaha...! Don't panic guys, it may not be that bad!

Part of the reason (so I understand) for the new seat, lower hump, etc is to cure the Fenn Dead Leg syndrome that some people suffer from - and it seems that it's worked.

Anyway - I've arranged to take the demo boat from Orka Paddles for the weekend so I'll be able to give some feedback and measurements after that!

But earlier in this thread there's some good info... I'm not sure that anyone's actually measured the seat, etc. though.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: crallan

More
9 years 1 month ago #23637 by crallan
Excellent! Please do!

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23638 by jagter
A guy in my club just bought a new swordfish.

I wonder if it is the new shape.

He also bought an Elite S. The standout feature on that one being a leash attachment point. Can't for the live of me remember if his new swordfish has the leash point as well. Will check this afternoon. If it has, it's probably the new shape, as it's probably the new bucket mold.

Anyway, I seem to have the same backside shape as whoever moulded the original fenn buckets. Fits like a glove, and no dead leg. Would be pity if it changed for the worse.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23639 by [email protected]

Can't for the live of me remember if his new swordfish has the leash point as well.

I can confirm that indeed it does!

Rob

More
9 years 1 month ago #23641 by crallan
According to Wetiz.eu
The bucket is aprox 2cm wider, but the hull is the same as before so the ski in itself is not wider. They got the info from Keith. Looking forward to a confirmation with a tape measure!
All is still hearsay :)

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23642 by Kayaker Greg
If that's the case I think I'll pass but perhaps look closer at the Elite S.

Latest Forum Topics