Fenn Swordfish Carbon vs. Hybrid

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23374 by Bob L.
I would be interested in hearing your comments of a Fenn Swordfish in carbon vs. their hybrid lay up.

Thank you
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Bob L..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hansie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23383 by Kayaker Greg
I think they are both great value for money (here in NZ) and I bought a carbon with absolutely no regrets, if I was on a bit of a budget I would buy the hybrid, but glad I got the carbon.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23391 by Bob L.
Thanks for the reply Greg. Is the carbon more susceptible to chips or damage than the hybrid lay up? It's allot of money and I want to make sure I know how to care for it and what to avoid doing.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23392 by Kayaker Greg
I don't know if its any more or less vulnerable than the hybrid, I'm very careful with my skis and I have yet to damage my carbon Swordfish in anyway in about two years of ownership, the surface seems very hard and ding resistant, for example my Epic V10l performance had several disappointing dings and repairs needed after only 3 months of ownership and seemed excessively fragile. I just know that if I could afford the carbon and I bought the hybrid that I would always be regretting spending a bit more for a few kgs less.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23393 by Bob L.
Great, appreciate the feedback.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23404 by Ric

Kayaker Greg wrote: I just know that if I could afford the carbon and I bought the hybrid that I would always be regretting spending a bit more for a few kgs less.

Just wondering what are the expected approximate weight ranges of the 2 different layups? How much weight difference could one reasonably expect between them?

Understanding of course that there is big variation, no guarantee etc etc. A light hybrid could well weigh as little as a heavy carbon, but we hope that's not the case.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Ric.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23405 by Kayaker Greg
Weight

Fenn surskis are handmade and there is always a small variance in weight. In the old days the variance could be up to 2kg, but in the last few years I’ve found that weights between skis of the same construction generally do not vary by more than a few hundred grams.
Actual average weights of skis in the last container for different constructions were:
Full carbon (grey finish): 10 to 11kg
Hybrid (grey finish): 12 to 12.5kg
Vacuum glass: 14 to 15kg.
Glass: 16 to 18kg.

www.fennkayaks.co.nz/fenn%20skis.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

Latest Forum Topics