Thanks Epic. Now, which next boat?

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24611 by andis
Thanks Epic. Now, which next boat? was created by andis
Guys, thank you for all the valuable information you have been contributing, of which I am immensely appreciative. Great reads!

As an average (at best) sea kayaker, I decided to try the surf skis. Following the advice of a friend, a couple of months ago I experimentaly purchased an epic v7.
OH, MAN! I am now hooked; I can’t wait to get out of the office and onto the ski!

The V7 is great fun, and durable, but is really quite slow, especially while accelerating to catch a wave.
Being located in an area that I cannot try many skis out, I need your help in finding my next ski...

Here are some data points:
- I am a fast paddler. I am 45yrs old, 6’5’’ tall and 95kg big.
- I only fall off the v7 in heavy quartering seas with confused waves near rocky land. I don’t fall in many other conditions (unless I am tired after a couple of hours) and i take the ski out to force 5 regularly.
- I own/paddle fast sea kayaks (18’, 21.1’’, 55lbs) but their hull design makes them very stable
- I tried a friend’s epic v10s ultra the other day but could not stay on it for more than 5 seconds!

So I guess I need a faster beginner’s ski ?

I plan to paddle for a couple of times a week until I can move to the next level. The next ski can stay in the family for a while, so this will hopefully not be my last ski. But equally, i will be keeping the V7. 

I enjoy going out in conditions so much more than flat water paddling, that i would always want to keep a stable boat in the shed.

I have had the Fenn bluefin recommended to me by a friend who has tried it. Great value.
Also, considering the Stellar SR as per many members' comments. Could this be an option or will I find it as hard as the V10s?
Carbonology Zest?
Any idea?

Oh, last thing. What layup/weight should i be targetting for my level and love of paddling in the rough?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24612 by [email protected]
I just paddled the new shape V10 Sport in rough seas in a couple of downwinds here in Cape Town, great boat, very stable.

My regular boat is the Carbonology Zest and I love it, but it's on the tippy end of the spectrum for intermediate boats...

Another great intermediate boat for someone of your size would be the Think Evo II. It's more stable than the Zest, perhaps marginally less stable than the V10 Sport.

Haven't spent much time in the Fenn Bluefin but guys here paddle it and love it.

I know nothing of the Stellar boats and there aren't many here.

All of these boats would be more responsive (aka faster but tippier) than the V7... We are spoilt for choice these days!

Try before you buy if you possibly can!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24615 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic Thanks Epic. Now, which next boat?
I can recommend only two things:
Learn to get on the kayak quickly on both sides and in all weather conditions of the ocean.
Learn the Forward Stroke (+ the support position with the paddle).
And then - Buy Epic V10S :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #24619 by Fath2o
I too recommend attending a forward stroke clinic or one on one training if you haven't already done so. And suggest spending more time on the V7 till the V10s isn't so difficult. Then your options open up a bit.

You should be able to comfortably stay in your V7 in any conditions, it takes time.

You should probably only be trying less stable boats in completely flat water. I think with more experience you could move right up to a boat like a v10s ultra.

Good luck!

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24620 by andis
Replied by andis on topic Thanks Epic. Now, which next boat?
I installed today epic's seat foam inserts - that are designed to lift you on your seat and prepare you for the next level of boats. I gradually installed all 4, raising the seat by 2 inches at least. I did pretty well!

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24621 by wesley
I agree with Fath2o, more time on the V7, and lessons or pair with an experienced paddler. With more bucket time the next step naturally would be the intermediates skis like the v10sport, Stellar SR 2G, SR 1G and others. At your height some skis will not fit you so this is a major consideration.The differences in the V10sport and SR 2G is that the SR is 1ft shorter but same width and Stellars are lighter in comparable layups. Our Multisport layup also has an anderson bailer which is new. The SR 2G has excellent glide.

The SR 1G has the largest bucket,and is the most stable of the intermediate skis and you may find a used one at a good price.

The Stellar SEI(ntermediate class) also fits big guys like you too in the bucket and the length.

Many good choices in the intermediate class.

You maybe able to skip over the V8's, Stellar S18S to the intermediates skis but a light weight V8 or S18S will serve you well at this point in your learning curve.

Wesley, USA Stellar Performance Director, SurfskiRacing.com

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by wesley. Reason: addition of title

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24622 by andis
Thank you everybody. Great info!
I know I will have to buy a new boat soon as my kids keep snatching my v7 :)

What to you think about the weight factor? So many choices...

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 6 months ago #24628 by photofr
Congrats to you for getting into surfskis.
I too will completely vouch on spending more time on your V7.
In fact, don't just spend more time seeking "advanced" conditions. Slow down in order to gain speed and stability.

1. Seek flatter water
2. Work on your forward stroke
3. Work hard at it some more
4. Take clinics / classes and then work on your forward stroke some more
5. Be patient - mix it up from time to time (rougher waters)

After doing the above and paddling more often, I believe you will totally be ready for a V10 Sport.

If you are impatient, go for a V8 or similar. Get a light model (from 18 kg to 10 kg) and that will make a huge difference.

You can also add padding under your butt… little by little to raise your center of gravity - to get you ready for the V10 Sport. A few centimeters will make tons of difference, so take it easy.

Hope this helps some.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 6 months ago #24629 by photofr
BTW…
A stiffer boat will be faster (in nearly all aspects) so carbon/fiberglass construction V8 or similar will feel a lot faster than the plastic V7.

Meanwhile, the V7 is excellent for kids - you won't cry when it gets drug on rocks.

Keep in mind:
Speed increase with a "faster" boat is minimal. It exists, but still minimal.
Speed increase with better technique is much greater - and lasts a lifetime.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 6 months ago #24632 by portmanm
Other intermediate options
- Think Evo II
- Fenn Swordfish S (new model)
- Vadja Hawx 52 (or 46 at a real stretch)

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
8 years 6 months ago #24633 by Sinkme
Andis, about that V10S try out. Are you SURE it was not the first generation V10 sport? I too was a sub 5 second wonder in that, but the second, current version I could handle.

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24634 by andis
I don't know... I will ask

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24635 by happy paddler
I began paddling last year in lakes on an old white water kajak and made about 40 hours. This year I've changed directly to a V10S Ultra with wing paddle. In meantime I made 50 hours in lakes and never fell out the boat. The V10S is stable, has a nice speed and makes a lot of fun. I can recommend you the V10S as next ski. The first hours you should exercise in calm, flat water conditions, no wind. When you feel comfortable you can step up to rougher conditions.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by happy paddler.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24638 by Kocho
You won't fit in the Think Evo comfortably, if at all (unless you have very narrow hip bones for your size) - seat bucket and overall cockpit is too narrow. Plus, it is less stable than the V10 Sport. If you fall off the new V10 Sport, as others said, work on your balance, then come back and get it - I think it is the perfect boat for you, size-wise and you will grow into it over a few weeks/months. Learn to brace (so you don't fall off easy), then learn not to need to brace (so you paddle faster) ;-)

I am 46, 6'4" at 190lb - just about the same size as you (size 15 feet too). The Think Big Eze might also be an option as an more of a beginner ski that is bigger than the regular Eze, which I have and wish had just a bit wider seat (but I fit in it if I'm in hot weather attire. I just paddled it today in some choppy waters and it is a lot of fun, lighter, but less sturdy-built than the Epics. If you look at an Epic V8, get the latest version - it fits me as it has a longer cockpit than the previous version, which is too short for me. And later you can keep that in the family as it does not require special skills to paddle on flat water.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Kocho.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24640 by vikingsurfer
I think that Carbonology Boost is an option for you, I was paddling a Bluefin before my Boost.
A little bit twitchy primary stability but a "huge" secondary stability. Much more stable than the Zest...I think it feels fast compared to my Bluefin (and the GPS says the same on flatwater).

Im about your size btw...

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24641 by andis
That's very interesting, thanks. I'll look the boost up.
Anyone has an opinion on the Nelo viper 55?

More
8 years 6 months ago #24646 by Stew
From the Think range, the Ace is worth a spin as is the EVo II. We've got lots of big guys like yourself paddling the Evo II, so don't be discouraged by what some guys will post on a forum. Best bet is to try as many craft as you can before making a purchase.

Great to hear you're enjoying surfski paddling so much, good luck in your search for a new craft.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24648 by Kocho

Stew wrote: ...We've got lots of big guys like yourself paddling the Evo II, so don't be discouraged by what some guys will post on a forum. Best bet is to try as many craft as you can before making a purchase.

This seems to be a reference to my post above, if not - my apologies for the somewhat edgy reply below. Yes, I am "some guy on a forum" however, I happen to be some guy who is just about the exact same size and age as the OP, so fit might just happen to be similar for us. He is only 1" taller and 5lb heavier. And I *know* from briefly owning the Evo II, that the seat bucket in it is too narrow at my hip bones *for me*. I fit in it only in the slimmest of summer shorts and a touch uncomfortably at that. My feet barely fit in too when I put thin paddling shoes on (that have no issue in the single-strap and slightly wider system on the Epic). So paddling the Evo II in cold weather where I need to put drywear with layers and/or neoprene on my body and shoes on my feet is pretty much out of the question. While the OP could definitely have a smaller bottom than me, let him not be too encouraged by what "some Think dealers on the internet" will post on a forum ;-). Yes, that's a wink at the end. The Evo II is less stable than the V10 Sport for a larger person - again, based on personal experience and that of some of my buddies owning a V10 Sport that swapped with my Evo II while I had it. If the OP is falling off the V10 Sport in 5 seconds, he'd be upside-down even more in the Evo II. On plus side, the narrower cockpit in the Evo II gives better contact and less water comes inside vs. V10 Sport, but that's only a benefit for those who fit nicely in it. I have absolutely no interest one way or another to recommend Think or Epic or anything else. I own both and what I share is factual information, which may or may not apply to everyone, but certainly is true for me. And yes, try for yourself is the best advice and no argument there.

Edit: to help with the "fit question" and avoid guess-work: my hip bones take 14.5" side to side when seated on the floor. Just measured. That's squeezing-in to the bone. Soft tissue adds extra width, though I don't have much there. I'll say, if the OP has narrower hips, even by 1/4", he'll find the fit in the Evo II great. I thought the cockpit ergonomics were excellent on it, provided it is wide enough for the paddler. When one is at the limit, even less than a 1/4 of an inch makes a huge difference in how the ski fits.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Kocho.

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24653 by andis
The V10s I had tried was the older version in ultra layup. Is the newer one so much more stable?
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by andis. Reason: Correction

More
8 years 6 months ago #24654 by Sinkme
YES, lots, and not just by my account.

Latest Forum Topics