New brand - new company - innovation - different!

More
8 years 6 months ago #24798 by OSS
A few people here in Manly (Australia) but also in South Africa already knew that there is something different brewing in our boatshed (in coop with our friend Umberto and team in Italy). After 12 months of preparations, we are now close to reveal the news!

It is new, it is innovative and it is different.

Please give us two more days to finalise our website and other means of communications but be warned:
You will want one!

We will keep you posted (regularly through this forum).

First pics attached.

More details coming.

Our best,

the OCEAN team! (Mario, Ole, Tibor and many more!)

New, innovative, different!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24800 by Fath2o
Looks really cool! Just wondering what happens when you run into a raft of kelp or have to negotiate a kelp filled reef? Are these boats only good for tropical waters or lakes?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24801 by MCImes
You put the bucket on the wrong side of the boat! (Just kidding)

Looks interesting. What do you see as the benefit of the reverse bow sweep? Less digging into a wave while maintaining full waterline length?

Are you importing to the US? What widths are you offering initially? Bailer or venturi? Layups/weights?

That is one sharp bow entry. Looks fast, and like a weed magnet... I'd have to fashion a triangle shaped piece of wire to guide weeds under
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by MCImes.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24804 by sAsLEX
Tumblehome is the new cool!

More
8 years 6 months ago #24805 by OSS
Thanks for the comments.

Here some brief answers:
a) By purpose, I took a ski through a lot of seaweed today - no problems at all
b) Our skis come in three lay-ups and weights (Glass 15.5 KG, Aramid 12.5 KG, Carbon 10.5 KG).
c) Latest “pre-preg” production methods also allow for robust 8-9 KG Carbon skis (not on offer at the moment, pending demand; expressions of interest welcome)
d) USA dealership - we will do our best to get to the US market as soon as possible - no specific dealer has been chosen yet - expressions of interest welcome
d) Unfortunately, we are much smaller than Nelo. Hence, our product development cycles are much longer. Reverse bows have been used for the past 4 to 5 years with high performance catamarans and a few surf skis. While these bows provide superior speed on flat water, they tend to “nose dive” too fast. Over the past 12 months, The OCEAN coop developed and optimized these bows for rougher waters. The result is the “cutting edge” hybrid bow which combines the advantages of both bow designs, the traditional and reverse bow, while minimizing any negative effects.

More to come soon!

Happy paddling!

More
8 years 6 months ago #24812 by Rubys Dad
Keep us updated and let me know if you folks find a market in Canada too.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24813 by merijnwijnen
Looks like a nice ski.

Regarding weeds:
We have a lot of smaller weeds and leaves here during autumn (flat inland waters). The Nelo cincos that our top paddlers use have the nice property to take the weeds and leaves on top of the bow, out of the water. The bow wave pushes the weeds high and dry where they do not cause a problem. Much better than the almost vertical conventional bows that gather weeds like mad and slow the boat down.
On the other hand, last weekend during a 5 km race a long piece of rope floated in the water, and it moved over the bow until it got stuck at the cockpit rim, the trailing ends acting like a giant brake.
YMMV

Seakayak, flatwater racing and a surfski on order.
Looking for other ski paddlers in South East Netherlands (Maas / Waal)

Surfski: Nelo 560 on order :-)
K1:Kirton Tor
Sea kayak: NDK Explorer HV

More
8 years 6 months ago #24814 by Spacehopper
Interesting. :)

That wouldn't be Umberto Felci? And these developments of the Windseeker and Code Zero skis?

They look great. Hope your venture goes well.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24818 by OSS
Update:
The bow is not a reverse bow as it is with the Cinco, it is a hybrid. We will update if we get more feedback about weeds, leaves, etc.

The Ski has indeed be designed in coop with Umberto Felci, a great naval architect (and team) and great experience with reverse bows (Code Zero, Windseeker). Our skis are the next step in evolution from these two skis plus many years of paddle/surfski experience here in Oz and worldwide.

Forgot to mention: We have 4 different models - all combine speed with stability (yes!):

OSS 1: Pure racing machine heavier paddler and/or rougher conditions 6495x435mm
OSS 2: Pure racing machine "lighter" paddler and/or flat water conditions 6245x430mm
OSS 3: Very fast ski with added stability 6245x460mm
OSS 4: for real rough conditions/the less experienced paddler (experienced beginner) 5795x480mm

Shot some pictures today, so hopefully have our website running tomorrow.
Please feel free to visit us on facebook.com/oceansurfskis

Thanks and I hope you'll enjoy it!

More
8 years 6 months ago #24819 by OSS
..whoever is interested in the Sydney area:

First demo days at the Manly boatshed (Bolingbroke Parade, Fairlight) this weekend with Mario, Saturday/Sunday 10am to noon, and 2pm to 4pm. Or call Mario to arrange for a time on 0431911558

We do our best to get demo days organised in other regions of Australia ASAP, and of course,, visit other parts of the world soon!

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24882 by OSS
We thought we show a brief video of OCEAN's first public appearance at the Lion Island Challenge 2015.
Interested? We have a DEMO DAY on Saturday at Manly Boatshed from 9am to noon.
Interstate? We plan demos for WA and QLD very soon.
Overeas? Some regions are in the planning, please let us know where you are located.

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OSS.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24889 by Uffilation
Hi OSS,

I'd be definetely in for getting an OSS 3/4 if sold in Europe.

- Could you give detaíls on the width of the foot rest at the bottom? For winter paddling with neoprene boots, dry suit and thermo socks, I am so far forced to take a wider ski in order to fit BOTH of my heals on the footrest with all that gear on and I don't even have large feet, rather below average.

- Any plans for a take apart 2- or 3-piece surfski options like the take apart Vajda Hawx (adds 2kg on overall weight for a 2-piece, 4kg for a 3-piece ski), that 2009 Epic V10 of Rene Appel or that heavy 3-part DD3 those days?
... just with a sleaker/lighter solution

Yeah I know, addtional hatches for assembly of the parts would spoil that great design of yours.

However, main reason w.b. transport+storage (for many there is that nasty last 1m-1.5m problem to be solved for the garage, on the car roof, etc.).
... take-apart solutions also allow to use for example two different stern parts of different length/design, a "LEGO surfski", or add defined weights "into" the
bow or stern part via the assembly service hatch for "balancing" according to conditions or paddler height/weight (e.g. influencing flatwater waterline) etc.

- Talking about hatches, are there any plans to offer custom options to inlcude at least a tiny hatch? ... e.g. somewhere in the bucket, behind the footplate etc.

- Talking about "behind the footplate", the bailer position behind the footplate leaves me a bit puzzled, I am flexibly, but not sure if I am that flexible and stable
to reach it in nasty conditions.

Definetly looking forward to see more open ocean / downwind footage and reviews on your great looking skis.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24890 by Uffilation
Food for googling (as the links are considered spam when posting):

- Surfski MV605wp
- Point65 Bourbon Orca, there is a video on youtube showing nose diving tendency from 0:50min onwards; as I understand from OSS, this issue has been adressed by the hybrid design of the bow
- Spire sea vortex
- Oceanbuilt in the doctor
- Felci Windseeker , Felci Yachts (great boats)

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 6 months ago #24891 by photofr
Just one point of view, but your surfskis look sharp; they have that "clean" look. I believe placing hatches / splits of any sort would ruin that look that you probably worked so hard for.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 6 months ago #24898 by Uffilation
Ludovic,
I agree, the design so 2015+x (not 1990s as many), clean and reduced to the ma that hatches would spoil it. But one can place hatches (small ones) in the font part of the bucket as an extra option (to be paid for), will not destroy the design I guess ...

Splits can be done in a way you almost don't see them, see the take apart Vajda Hawx.

So for an "optional extra", a two piece OSS, e.g. only the front part could be taken off for transport or storage (no need to hassle the hoff out of the part with the steering lines),
the assembly being done with hand wheel screws via a service hatch in the front part of the bucket. One could make such a split almost "invisible" IMO.

There are not a few paddlers that go for shorter skis just because they can not handle that extra 1-1.7m for (longer) transport or storage. Offering that extra option, the front part being clip-on/off = also asking for an extra in price, which such people are likely willing to pay imo. I would.

Those who like that ski uncut, buy it uncut of course.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24899 by Uffilation
when one googles for inverted bow SUP and clicks on images

> interesting to see the developements in the bows there, e.g. the 12'6 RS Race Touring – Blue of Von Orange or that M1 Race 12´6 SUP of Mistral

was about time for OSS type skis to hit the market

More
8 years 6 months ago #24904 by OSS
Hi Uffilation,

thanks for your feedback - always very welcome!

Unfortunately, you are asking for a completely new boat model...maybe a project for the future....at the moment, we are focussed 100% on our 4 brand new models.

Cheers

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24906 by Uffilation
Hi OSS,
I understand of course,
but actually I did not mean new model, just "options"to order, e.g. just cut the front off and add a service hatch to tighten that part back on again.

If you don't do it, I'll have to do it myself then :whistle:

see YouTube:
> The kayak chainsaw massacre
> Sikuk desmontable.flv

Facebook:
Fotos of M5 France for the two piece Vajda Hawx

Cheers.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24908 by OSS
Thanks. Looks good.

We are aware of the many restrictions in Europe. It is all possible and as I mentioned before, we take feedback on, could be a great project (in future, we just spend 1 year to get the 4 existing models done).

Did you consider the stress on the joints when being out in the ocean? For a save surfski, one should use more than 3 points/screws to tighten parts together...Vajda did it right....

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OSS.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24909 by Uffilation
yes, I also got the shivers when I saw those 3 joints, seem too few ...
the Vajda Hawx has eight Joints.

I just posted those as an example.

These kind of splits have been done for decades for sea kayaks before they were used for some surfskis .. with more joints though.
You first make the complete kayak/ski, then cut it, attach the walls with assembly.
I am just egoistic, want one of your great skis with detachable bow NOW. lol

BTW: reason is not regulation mess in Europe alone , but there are so many advantages with a two piece ski, e.g. a take apart bow section. Ask those that live in urban areas and either have to drive many miles to see water or store a 6m surfski or both ... or travel through different countries by car with a ski on the Roof.

I live at the countryside and paddle inner lakes, so I have space at home. But when driving a couple of hours to the sea, I really enjoy how 2/3 parts of a split boat snuggly fity on the roof, no side wind issues or all the other issues involved with long distance roof transport and during the winter, I put it in the basement. Theft? I take those parts with into the rented house/tent.

" (in future, we just spend 1 year to get the 4 existing models done)"

I fully understand that, enthusiastic people allways get ahead of themselves lol, sorry for being nerdy. I'll switch to the reading user here now, eagerly awaiting new vids, downwind etc.

.. ahh whatver and I'd buy an OSS anyway, one piece, been hooked by reverse bows even before I saw that windseeker video 2 years ago ... just bring it to Europe.

But I still feel that take-apart solutions for surfskis are neglected by manufaturers ... constantly since years.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.

Latest Forum Topics