New paddler

More
8 years 2 months ago #25430 by Dane
New paddler was created by Dane
Hi, I am new to the sport and have only the pleasure to try the V8 and V10 Sport.

I'm looking at maybe purchasing a Vadja Ski and just wanted some tips on what Vadja Ski I should be looking at purchasing for mainly flat water and a little swell. I found the V10 Sport stability at my limits at this stage. I have heard great reports on the Vadja brand.

I'm 6'4 and 85kgs.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25433 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic New paddler
Hey Dane, a little sailing advice: buy your second boat first. If you put in the bucket time, you'll soon be chomping at the bit to paddle ever more challenging craft. A V10 sport would be a great first ski, as you get much of what makes a surfski a surfski, but in a very forgiving platform. So as you progress, you'll always have a great rough water ski that you could race. Also, one of the things I've noticed that people overlook when buying a new ski: the details. For example: the foot-brace assembly, using the bailer, changing rudders. Pay attention to that, they make a big difference when you spend many an hour paddling a ski.

Nicholas Cryder
www.fasterfarther.com

More
8 years 2 months ago #25435 by Dane
Replied by Dane on topic New paddler
Thanks Nicholas. Is there a Vadja Ski that is equivalent to a V10 Sport?

More
8 years 2 months ago #25462 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic New paddler
Dane, I've owned the V8 & V10sport, the bucket in those two skis are really nice - I tried a couple of Vajdas' last year - really loved the skis - but couldn't get comfortable - check the bucket fit (@ 85kg you should be fine - I'm a fair bit heavier) but the leg length may trouble you - i have really long legs...Don't assume because you fit the Epics you'll fit other skis - there all a little different (even in the same brand) - take one for at least 30min paddle (an hour would be better) and see for yourself.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
8 years 2 months ago #25466 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic New paddler

Dane wrote: Thanks Nicholas. Is there a Vadja Ski that is equivalent to a V10 Sport?

Hey Dane, my guess would be the Hawx 46, but that is only based on the max beam and length of the ski... which isn't a good way to see if they are similar or not. There are a ton of variables that affect the way a ski handles. Volume distribution x hull cross section profile x cg tipping points... list goes on.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25471 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic New paddler
I think the Hawx 46 might be a bit tippy. Look at the next wider one in the range.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25472 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic New paddler
Agree with LOve2Ski - Hawx 46 step above Epic V10 Sport, Hawx 52 is probably quicker than a V8 on the flat. Don't forget to try a Stellar SEI or new Fenn Swordfish S or Think Evo II - all similar stability to the Epic V10 Sport.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25481 by MaxB
Replied by MaxB on topic New paddler
Having paddled a borrowed new Stellar SR whilst on hols this week, I'd probably rate this boat as the nearest alternative to a V10 Sport these days. The stability was expected, but the speed (for a shortish, 48cm wide boat) was a real surprise - as was the great cockpit and fitout. I also see they are both lighter and substantially cheaper than equivalent V10 Sport layups. This is a boat with an unusually good speed/stability compromise and is a very, very compelling intermediate ski option.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by MaxB.

Latest Forum Topics