Double paddling tips.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25566 by Newbflat
I have only been in a double once, so i decided to pick up a used V10 double ( performance) because.......well, just cuz.

Being totally new to paddling a double anyone have any tips? I know you need another person but thats about it for specific knowledge. So what about best remounting technique? How to resolve arguments (they don't call them divorce boats for nothing)? Tips on surfing? You get the picture.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25569 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Double paddling tips.
Bill, was the first time in the double - was it with the Big O at one of his coaching clinics? If so, I doubt you'll ever duplicate that ride! - I was sold on doubles after that...
However. I've owned three double skis since that ride - All lovely skis - I'm cured - it's just not my thing!
You need to paddle and move as one (I'm in the back seat due to my size - unless you want a submarine!) - downwinding in a double - that takes A LOT of time, patience and training to get it right (that means missing a lot of good downwinders whilst you're learning) but when you do - it's great - or better still - get an expert in the front and just go for the ride...With the right person driving the ski they are a lot of fun - my very first big downwinder was in a Fenn XT double: 5m seas 25knot wind on the 'Duel' course...It was manic - 4 swims in 12km - I don't think the pilot had a 5th in him!
Remounting: it's very different - you'll need to practice that in ALL conditions...

Good luck!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25570 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Double paddling tips.
Funny, it was with Oscar and while paddling up wind I clearly remember thinking that if I stopped paddling we would hardly slow down. The man can really drag a boat up wind!

I got it cheap and mostly for taking other people out in flat water. I have a couple of nephews that want to go out and some friends as well including some solid paddlers but not ski paddlers ( whitewater). I realize it takes a lot of practice with a steady partner if you want to get good but I'm not expecting much other than to have some fun. If one of my paddling amigos wants to put some time in with me to race or downwind I'm game.

Why is it hard to remount? It's stable and has someone helping to stablise it when the first person gets in. Just curious .....I guess I will found out tomorrow.

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Newbflat.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25571 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Double paddling tips.
Bill,
Re-mounting a double in the conditions I paddle in is difficult and should be treated so - the time to find out is not when its too windy or rough...adjust your limitations down a couple of notches and you'll do just fine.
Have fun...It's a good learning experience.
My tip for remounting - put the more skilled paddler in first.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
8 years 2 months ago #25574 by Newbflat
When out with a friend in the double. He has been in a kayak once and never in a ski. I threw him in a dry suit and I was in my full 2/3 wetsuit as the water is about 45° f. We did 4 remounts in flat water after some coaching and it went well and easer than I thought it would, me first then Josh. So we paddles off and I dealt with who ever was climbing all over the back of the ski, or at least felt like it. Over the hour or so paddled he settled down mostly and we had a nice paddle. Being my first time in the ski and with a new paddler I was not happy with speed. We maintained an average of 6 mph...... Slllloooooooow. He had fun and he might have bit the hook.

Today I went out with a ski paddling friend and it was a very different experience. It's amazing how much more stable it was with a ski paddler in it. Night and day. Plus, even though we were both out of shape in our mid winter training lull we maintained an easy 7 or more mph. That was reassuring on both accounts.

So far my only complaints are with the bucket feeling a little like I'm paddling up hill and encouraging some slouch. A little foam in the right place might help.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

• rhainan
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25580 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Double paddling tips.
I have found the V10 Double to be pretty tricky to paddle with somebody with limited surfski experience. I have pretty average paddling ability so that does not help my cause much. I thought it might make a good training boat and allow a newbie to watch and follow my stroke. Well, it has not worked out as well as I would have liked. If the other person is a child or very light weight, it is a bearable but not exactly enjoyable experience. If the other paddler is over 65 kilos and new to surfskis, forget about it. This is on flat water. I cannot imagine trying it in the open water.

I did find a regular paddling partner and we were able to paddle it successfully this season on some flat water races but it took quite a few practice sessions to get comfortable. Remounting was a hilarious experience and I cannot say we ever mastered it.

Anecdotally I have picked up that the V10 Double is not the most forgivable of the double surfskis. Epic has mentioned designing a V8 Double. I don't know how serious they are about it, but I think there would be much more demand for it than the V10 Double. I would order one today if available.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25581 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Double paddling tips.
i found the V10 double one of the easiest and most comfortable to paddle in my 35 years for paddling. Paddle with my wife without a problem.
Just my view.
As for the V8 double there is one floating around somewhere.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25583 by Newbflat
As I mentioned I found remounting pretty easy and this was with a complete beginner but a reasonably coordinated guy who follows directions. I have a quick and solid low brace form years of whitewater and the first two remounts I threw some light braces but that was it. The other two remounts ( one on each side) were basically brace free. It goes, me first in front while he steadies the ski but doesn't hang on one side, then he gets in the back bucket. I wondered if both of us mounting and resting with our bodys across the ski and then the front person rotates in first and then the stern would be more stable?... We shall see. But it seemed quite easy really. It was in flat water though.

I am curious if being in the rear bucket feels more unstable. I ask because my paddler friend I took out the second day threw a few quick braces as felt unstable, but I didn't deal a thing. The ski was moving nicely and maybe a small wobble and he would throw a brace. I would hardly have felt a thing...... Odd.

It seemed like it wouldn't take very long to do ok on a downwind with my paddler friend. Definitely want to practice remounts in some bumpy water before that though.

It seams to have a lot of secondary stability and most of the tipsiness is in its initial stability. The beginner and I sat legs over the side for some time with zero trouble.

A V8 double sounds like a blast..... What are is measurements, does anyone know?

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

• rhainan
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25585 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Double paddling tips.

Ranga wrote: i found the V10 double one of the easiest and most comfortable to paddle in my 35 years for paddling. Paddle with my wife without a problem.
Just my view.
As for the V8 double there is one floating around somewhere.

I think the key here is your 35 years of paddling experience. I've only got 5 years on a surfski (and only two of those in a higher performance boat). Hence, the V10 Double has been a challenge for me to paddle with people who do not have solid surfski skills.

At almost 25 feet/7.6 meters, the V10 Double is a bit of a handful to store and transport. Its a niche within a niche, but I think a shorter, more stable double is a logical progression, no? Are there any other areas not covered by the major boat manufacturers? We now have short and stable boats, rotomolded boats, beginner intermediate/intermediate/intermediate advanced boats as well as super rocket ships. What is left besides the beginner double?

More
8 years 2 months ago #25607 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Double paddling tips.
I have a v10 double. Here is my experience: with two skilled paddlers it still feels tippy as hell for about one minute. Then the wobbles settle down and it is rock solid. amazingly fast on the flat.

Paddling with a newby in the back can be a challenge. with a small woman in the back, there is no problem, as they are too light, and with center of balance too low to throw off the boat. a novice man with exceptional balance in back can be ok. But a novice man with poor balance and poor confidence is absolutely horrible. so much work for the guy up front. constant balance correction, frequent bracing, and no boat speed. I strained my shoulders so bad the last time a took a big newby guy in the back that I don't think I will do that again.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• MCImes
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25619 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Double paddling tips.
You're not talking about me are ya Zach? =) just kidding. I've been eyeing a V10 double ever since I paddled it with you. still one of the funnest paddles ive ever had.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25623 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Double paddling tips.
No marcus you were awesome in the double!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 2 months ago #25662 by Rubys Dad
Replied by Rubys Dad on topic Double paddling tips.
I'm with you on the challenges for the V10 double. I've had a few different passengers on board, (sorry should read paddlers) with varying results. Don't get me wrong I really love getting it out for a paddle but find the front cramped for my size. Wife prefers to ride in back and we can actually get some decent speed into it on occasion.

Takes some getting used to it and all. remounts not an issue and I've had to do a few. Biggest challenge I've seen is balance and coordination on the water. Get in sync and keep the strokes short and up front to build up stability. Hitting the water hard for a catch at the start will be great for practicing remounts in my experience. Technique first, speed last and have fun out there.... :P

Latest Forum Topics