Stellar SR - Series 1 and 2

More
7 years 9 months ago #26389 by Oiddad
Hey all. Is there an easy sure fire way of telling the difference between a series 1 Stellar SR and the much better series 2? Just want to make certain I am going to get what i am suppose to be paying for. Cheers Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #26390 by [email protected]
(I've forwarded this to my contacts at Stellar, will post if I get a response.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #26393 by Simon Haywood
Oiddad,

Here are some photos to help identify:
SR-1: Series 1 on the left, Series 2 on the right

SR-2: Series 1 closest (foreground)

SR-4: Series 1 (on the left)

Also I'm pretty sure on the HIN number (12 characters at rear - starboard side) should have 515 or 516(if it's new) as the last three characters.

Take no notice of the Andersen bailer (& tenis ball) that's a custom modification by me.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Simon Haywood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oiddad

More
7 years 9 months ago #26394 by Oiddad
Replied by Oiddad on topic Stellar SR - Series 1 and 2
Thank you very much guys, particularly Simon for the pics.

More
7 years 9 months ago #26395 by Oiddad
Thanks very much guys, particularly Simon for the pics. I am looking to get my wife onto skis after paddling kayaks for some time. She has had a go of the SEI but we feel the SR would be more suitable for now. Again thanks.
Jeff

• leebee
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #26396 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Stellar SR - Series 1 and 2
The Second generation boat has dual drain plugs and venturis.

More
7 years 9 months ago #26397 by Simon Haywood
Front & Rear handles were only on the Series 2 SR

SR Series 2 - These are my two current ones:

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #26398 by TaffyMick
Having owned and paddled both (still have the Series 2 SR - Excel) there is a big difference between both boats. This is due to the Series 2 having much less volume, the seat being moved forward and slightly skinnier. Whereas with the Series 1 you felt as if you were sitting "on" it, with the Series 2 you are sitting "in" it. Much narrower catch, faster and slightly less stable than the Series 1.

Cheers,
Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #26399 by Oiddad
Taffymick I see you also paddle a SLR!. So have I for only a short time. How do you find it? I ask because after paddling skis I feel as though I am 'rolling' in it a little. When it does get sideways chop and confused water it really wants to see me in the water. I'm assuming I'll get use to the boat. Some have suggested I'm too light for it (85kg) and may benefit by placing sone ballast in the cockpit with me perhaps 3-5litre water bladder?
What are your thoughts?
CHeers Jeff

More
7 years 9 months ago #26400 by TaffyMick
Hi Jeff,

The advice is right. It is a big person's boat, insomuch as I have 30kg on you and the SLR1 paddles perfectly for me. I have had mine since last August and use it for club Time Trials, fitness training and the odd PaddleNSW marathon series race. Having come from sea kayaks to skis, racing the SLR1 is like paddling an old friend (in most conditions).

The trick with the SLR is to get it trimmed right. Got to get that bow down into the water as the SLR has minimal rocker. It is a flat water, bay and estuary racing hull. You are not going to get runs on it (you do get minimal assistance downwind) and it can take some getting used to in side wind and chop. But as the old saying goes...practice makes perfect. The other thing is to learn to brace with your knees/thighs under the cockpit lip.

Now, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is get a Bumfortable foam seat. Most of us who race Sladecraft SLRs, Flashes or Comets have fitted these. You can get the kevlar seat base off Greg Slade and the bumfortable seat off him or Pro Kayaks in Sydney. Why the bumfortable seat? Much lower centre of gravity and enables you to brace and leg drive much more efficiently and above all...avoid the numb bum syndrome!

Only problem I have with the SLR1 is club time trials. I keep improving my time and the buggers keep increasing my handicap! :angry: ;) :laugh:

Mick

PS. Found that maximum strength Araladite is the best glue to attach the seat to the base. 10 months and still going strong for me.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Attachments:

• leebee
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #26425 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Stellar SR - Series 1 and 2
Oiled
Do not know where you are located but I have a 2016 Stellar Excel SR )Gen. 2) in like new condition for sale. You can see pics. on Wesley Echols Surfsracing.com site.

Latest Forum Topics