V8 compared to Fenn Bluefin S

More
7 years 8 months ago #26562 by drjay9051
I am considering a more stable ski to join my V10sport in ultra layup.

I have been in the V10sport for a couple of years but between kayak, mountain bike and work do not get a lot of time in the bucket.

As a result when i go out in any type of confused seas or paddle abeam the wind I am quite unsteady. i use swiss ball at home and have a strong core but just not there yet.

I think if I go to a super stable ski I will have fun in the surf and wind and can use the V10 or my Stellar SR for calmer conditions.

Here is my question: As I understand it Epic now has a 2nd generation V8 and I cannot find info as to how it compares to the 1st gen. In addition I see reference and tests of the Bluefin but the one available for sale by private party is a Bluefin S. I cannot find info on the S model.

Biggest concern is fit. My V10S is the earlier model with the wider bucket and I fit OK. Also fit well in my 4 year old Stellar SR, which i find a bit more stable than the V10 but still not stable enough for rough conditions.

Does anybody know how bucket size of SR compares to the newer V8 and /or Bluefin S?

No local Fenn dealer and the boat I am interested in is 4 hours away.

I suppose one option is for me to measure the bucket in the Epic and Stellar then call a couple of dealers and see if they will take measurements of their skis. Only concern is exact point of measurement.

It is no fun having wide hips!!!

Appreciate any help or insight on either of these 2 skis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 8 months ago #26565 by photofr
A friend of mine was going to get the V10 Sport, but instead went for the V8 (second generation). The results are pretty simple and straight forward:

- He can pretty much paddle when he wants, and doesn't have to wait for calm days.
- He's spending a lot of time in the bucket, mainly because he's having a blast.
- Stability is great on the V8, and it's anything but slow.
- He really liked the Nelo 520, but this guy is dedicated Epic.
- The V8 will meet all your needs for wide hips and comfort.
- Built quality of the V8 is far superior to that of a Fenn, but the Fenn is quite cheaper.

I can't comment on the Blue Fin S - I have never tried it.

Heads up though: Coming from your V10 Sport Ultra (first generation) you will find that the V10 Sport Ultra second generation is amazingly more stable. If you are going to get another ski, it better be as light, otherwise you will automatically feel like you are paddling a "slug".

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: drjay9051

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26566 by Newbflat
As someone who has had both. The older SR is a good bit more stable than the current V10 Sport. It has much deeper secondary stability. It is closer to the V8 than the Sport in stability.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Newbflat.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26569 by Goldcoastkiwi
Hi , my wife used to have a V8 in performance lay up , early in her paddling career ,before moving to a V10 Sport, and now normally paddles a Swordfish.
We have now moved to an area with generally much more wind , and waves , so in order to enjoy paddling in all conditions we recently purchased a new Bluefin S , in carbon hybrid lay up, in short she loves it! She insists it is faster than the V8, finds it very confidence inspiring.

On big condition days I pinch it and have a ball! Rather than worrying about staying upright you can concentrate
on linking waves together so its a great boat on which to improve your skills.

Size wise shes only low 50's kg ( never ask a women her weight!!) and I'm 80 kg and neither of us feel the need
for side pads , although we do both use Epic seat pads ( x2) to increase the height of the bucket for a stronger paddling position...its so stable that this is not a problem

As for Epics finish being " Far Superior" , i think that is an exaggeration to say the least , certainly a little shinier,
but to me there is more to a good ski than it's finish!

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 8 months ago #26571 by photofr
Sorry if this is offensive, but it's not at all the intent. I am just trying to inform the original Post.

When I say "Built quality of Epic is superior to Fenn", I don't mean the shinny or lack thereof. Surely, you have noticed:

Smooth rudder control vs. a bit rough and archaic setup on the Fenn.
A real bailer that drains well on one, vs. an older system on the Fenn.
Construction is also quite different.

On the other hand, the Epic is more costly, and the Fenn is far more reasonably priced. All the above should be taken under consideration when making a purchase.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics