PFD for ski: Need Advice

More
7 years 7 months ago #26647 by USCG
Appreciate all the replies regarding my question on ski weight. i am between 2 skis both in a light layup: V8 in ultra or S18S in excel.

My next issue is PFD. i have been using a Kokotat PFD while borrowing my friend's ski. i use this for open water kayaking. it is quite a beast but great flotation and pockets.

kokatat.com/product/outfit-tour-pfd-lvuoft

It does not seem to impede my remounts although I am quite aware of its presence when paddling and remounting.

Is this overkill?

I see my other options are Mocke, Ocean Paddler (designed by Gardner) and Valkobi.

These look thinner but I imagine provide enough flotation. Better to get a thinner PFD for the ski and use the Kokotat for my offshore kayak days? My Kokotat is USCG approved not sure about the others but if designed and used in other countries I would think USCG not an issue.

Of the 3 mentioned is one generally considered to be the best in the surfski community or more a matter of personal taste?

Lastly, thoughts on the CO2 inflatable PFD. I imagine these would be the most comfortable ?

r in ? These would seem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #26652 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic PFD for ski: Need Advice
Depends on type of ski paddling. In my part of the world best downwind paddling conditions are in summer, so as you'd be aware you are often paddling with whatever breeze there is downwind, this means that you can heat up quite quickly. I have found the Mocke PFD to be the coolest PFD.

CO2 inflatable PFD's are not approved for racing in Australia so while I have one I rarely use it. As a masters paddler I also reflect on whether if something goes wrong will I be able to successfully deploy it. To be honest, the Mocke is just so comfortable once it's on you don't really notice it.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by AR_convert.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26653 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic PFD for ski: Need Advice
besides Mocke and Vaikobi, the Secumar Vivo(s) (e.g. foam version) give great freedom ..
if you look at the videos of surfski education, they use them too,

More
7 years 7 months ago #26658 by LaPerouseBay
This one should be good. I did the kickstarter, so I'll get one early.

www.hyde-sportswear.com/

They updated us with the details of USCG approval. Brutal testing and bureaucratic delays. I'm not surprised few manufacturers have tried the CO2.

Swimming should be a hell of a lot easier, that's for sure.

Mine should arrive this month.

downwind dilettante

Latest Forum Topics