Where would you put Fenn Elite S on Wesleys diagram

More
7 years 7 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #26944 by 10157485477680607@facebook
Hi, Just wondering where would you put Fenn Elite S on Wesleys diagram on www.surfskiracing.org/surfski-reviews-updated-march-2012/

Regarding remount, cockpit, speed and stability?

Rune Øvrebø

Evo II, Fenn Elite S
Romany Classic, SeaBird Scott MV Hdpe,
Seabird XP 480, Seabird XP 507,
Seabird Black Pearl LV
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by 10157485477680607@facebook.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26949 by Dicko
I'll give this a crack.

I reckon the Elite S would sit around the Stellar SEL in terms of speed and probably stability as well. The SEL is easier to remount, because the elites all have fairly deep cockpits.

In my opinion the Elite S has a very comfortable bucket.

The Elite S is a great downwind boat. It catches and holds runs better than anything else.

Once again though, it depends on your skill level. I find the Elites comfortable in small organized downwinds. As it gets rougher I use a different boat. Not so much because of the stability, but because of the difficulty remounting them.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26956 by wesley
I paddled the Elite S for only 10 minutes a month ago after a race. I was Very curious since I had read good things about it and that they had lowered the hump. It was more stable than my Glide I had for a few years. I actually had the hump cut down in the Glide since my 29.5 inch legs would not hit the hump. The Elite S is faster and less stable than the SEL 2G and still has a deep bucket and high gunwales.

I would rarely take my Glide out in more than flatter stuff since I knew I would have trouble remounting it due to the deep bucket as Dicko said. Even putting your feet over the high gunwales can be uncomfortable if you have short legs. I remember many years ago taking my Mako 6 out on a winter day in New England in very choppy conditions. I was wearing my drysuit but I was praying I did not capsize. I was a nervous wreck despite practicing my remounts in this boat. I did not capsize that day, but I now have better judgement when it comes to remounting. Years ago when giving lessons, I would wait until the end to practice remounts with paddlers. No more, now it is one of the first things I teach to impress upon them that you have to be able to remount confidently in 3 times or less or panic can set in. Some boats are clearly easier to remount than others: Wider boats are easier and those with low gunwales and shallow seats. Overall I found the Epics probably the easiest in general, the Stellars with a shallow bucket too are easy as well as are the Hukis with that very low gunwale at the hips. My Vadja Hawx was super easy too.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

Latest Forum Topics