Keeping Feet Warm

More
7 years 5 months ago #27414 by drjay9051
Keeping Feet Warm was created by drjay9051
For colder conditions I have Hydroskin tops and bottoms. Not sure what to do about my feet. Anybody use neoprene booties? Are they too big to fit in the foot straps?

Wool socks?
Not sure what is best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27429 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic Keeping Feet Warm
5 or 7 mm booties are usually sufficient, even to down below freezing. Most foot straps can be adjusted so they fit, though it may be a bit tight.

I have a pair of 5 mm booties, but I usually use my 3 mm water shoes, and when it gets cold, I add wool socks. But then again, I seem to be more cold tolerant than most of the paddlers I know.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27431 by WingSuit
Replied by WingSuit on topic Keeping Feet Warm
Two things: make sure the booties fit snugly, and your feetsies will stay warm. For those colder days, wear some neoprene socks under the next bigger size booties.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27435 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Keeping Feet Warm
I use neoprene booties made for surfing. They are close fitting and flexible. Most booties made for diving are quite bulky and the soles are not flexible enough for easy steering.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
7 years 5 months ago #27436 by kevin brunette
Replied by kevin brunette on topic Keeping Feet Warm
drjay. Whatever solution you go for, make sure that you can pull your feet out of the foot strap. You don't want to capsize with a foot trapped in the foot strap.

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

More
7 years 5 months ago #27437 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic Keeping Feet Warm
I use neoprene booties in a cold lake in which I have to step into the water. I bring a thermos with warm water and pour some in the top of the booties before and after the paddle session.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27449 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Keeping Feet Warm
If you get free diving wetsuit socks like these wildblue.co.nz/shop/Boots+Gloves++Hoods/.../Vertex+S50+3mm.html

They are like toasty socks with a little rubberised grip protection on the bottom.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27458 by Davelis
Replied by Davelis on topic Keeping Feet Warm
I have use boots, socks but I didn't like the feel (mostly because they slip) so since I use Pogies in my hands I took an old pair of neoprene boots and cut the bottom so I have my bare feet in the footboard and they are protected from cold wind.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27464 by crallan
Replied by crallan on topic Keeping Feet Warm
I've been using Atan 'Hot Mistral' for winter surfing and paddling for many years. Great barefoot feeling and very warm! Found a little review...

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

Latest Forum Topics