Nelo 520 Seat Width

• leebee
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #27638 by leebee
Nelo 520 Seat Width was created by leebee
Can any of you tell me how wide is the seat on the Nelo 520 relative to a Stellar G2 SR. I bought an SR having sat in one briefly being sure I could paddle it, from owning prior surf skis. Unfortunately, while the stability (and speed) was fine, the comfort was not and after 20-30 minutes there was too much pressure on my wide hip bones, even with a pad to raise the seating position a bit, and I sold the boat. Since Oscar Chalupsky was involved with Epic, I suspect that was a reason their seats are generally wider than many competitors. Now that he is with Nelo I hoped while the 520 may be closer to a beginner's boat it would have good speed, and a wide enough seat to be comfortable. The shorter length (17' 4") is a plus for several reasons vs. the other boat I was considering; the Epic V8 Pro.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27639 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Nelo 520 Seat Width
Stellar SR 1G would have room for your hips

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 4 months ago #27646 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Nelo 520 Seat Width
I can't compare the two, but I can give you first-hand-info about the Nelo 520.

I have had paddlers ranging in the 85-90 kilos with "rather large" hips in the 520: they found it snug, but never too tight. They all give it thumbs up for comfort. I have also had Oscar (107 kilos at the time) doing several 360 rotations in the bucket using his paddle. Keep in mind that Oscar is a big man, but his hips are on the "small side" compared to most 100 kilo paddlers.

Smaller paddlers weighing 45-55 kilos immediately mentioned how comfortable the bucket was for them. I have paddled it, and I too find it remarkable comfortable. The narrow front end is a sheer pleasure to paddle (it's anything but a square box up front).

The bucket is said to be an ergo bucket. I have spent a lot of time looking at it, and I cannot explain why it fits larger and smaller paddlers, but after placing more than 50 people on the ski, I have no doubt.

To be fair, I have never placed a very large person with unusual large hips.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lov2play

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 4 months ago #27647 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Nelo 520 Seat Width
Here's an image of a 94 kilo entry-level-paddler. Notice his hips are above the side of the ski, how the bucket isn't so deep, how the bucket doesn't "lock" his hips, and how the bucket sort of "flares out" at the hips?

File Attachment:

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• leebee
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #27655 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Nelo 520 Seat Width
Photofr
Thanks, I sent a note earlier but looks like it got lost in the clouds...
The flare that you describe my be the answer as it is not the bottom of the bucket that is the issue for me it is 3-4" above that point. Will hope to get a trial some day in the future. I have a K1 (Marathon) on order to handle the issue until I can figure out a surf ski option. Ironic I just returned form a couple of weeks in France (Bayeux) but it was too cold to consider paddling where there.

Latest Forum Topics