User Banned.

More
7 years 1 day ago #28623 by [email protected]
Hi Guys, I don't always read all the posts on the forum (how bad) and I had no idea that things were getting tense until someone who's been with us for many years asked me to remove them from the system.

So I value people who contribute and who don't start fights MUCH more than people who post irrelevant stuff and who pick fights/irritate members.

So I've banned a user who has been doing these things.

But please - if something is getting out of hand, just give me a nudge; I don't always see it happening.

Thanks!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: crallan, Uffilation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago #28628 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic User Banned.
Following a request, I've deleted the entire thread that caused offence.

As someone suggested - let's go paddling! It's approaching the end of the season here in South Africa :-( The days are getting shorter and darker and colder... and the southeasters are getting scarce. Still, it's almost time for the northwesters and our downwinds in the opposite direction!

Thanks to all of you who belong to and contribute to this forum.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto, Uffilation

More
7 years 1 day ago #28629 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic User Banned.
Free at last.

Thank you

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
7 years 16 hours ago #28632 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic User Banned.
Thank you Rob. This was a pain in the ...
I won't miss the man.
I just can't help thinking about the poor ski dealer that will have to deal with him. ;)

More
7 years 8 hours ago - 7 years 3 hours ago #28634 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic User Banned.
Hiro, true, also thanked Rob in the now deleted thread.
However, next time (such paranormal encounters happen once every five years here?) one would try to inform the site master earlier or at least hit the "report this" button before getting engaged in posting with any Captain Caps.

But good to know, that from now on any paddle he'll touch will turn into a pool noodle and any ski he'll get on will turn into a crocokayak.
Last edit: 7 years 3 hours ago by Uffilation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28639 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic User Banned.
Thanks to Robin for allowing me to stick around. Great site.

I'm a regular over on the standupzone and posted to this thread, referencing the recent unpleasantness here on Robin's site.

www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topi...49826.html#msg349826

The thread is on the subject of forum unpleasantness, sort of.

Trolls don't last long on the zone. If anything, they relish them. Bit of fun, then they slink away.

PB's comments on marketing and the damage trolls can do is sad news to honest people. SUPcheat's comments on the lack of regulation is similarly brutal.

I think it's up to forum members to be diligent against bums. Identify them and hit them hard, and fast. Trouble is, who has the time...

Yogaman was allowed to drag on because he veiled his menace as inexperience. We all want to help when we can. He exploited the generosity of experts. Unforgivable.

Anyhow, I learned a thing or two here and am glad I'll be around. Skis are a blast.

Thanks for all the info over the years, especially the safety stuff.

downwind dilettante

More
6 years 11 months ago #28644 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic User Banned.
I think the biggest kick I got out of the whole thing was somewhere along the line LaPerouse said that he missed Kayakchampeen.

Man, that guy was 100 times worse than Yoga!

More
6 years 11 months ago #28648 by mamaru
Replied by mamaru on topic User Banned.
To Rob and all the contributers: 1000 thanks for keeping this place alive and sharing your wealth of experience! Here in Germany there is nothing alike... MAY SURFSKI FORUM LIVE FOR EVER!

As long as someone stays within his/ her own thread, I can ignore whatever behavior: I don't have to read nor answer it. What I found really threatening was when he started to get into other threads, too.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28649 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic User Banned.
Hahaha

More
6 years 11 months ago #28650 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic User Banned.
Sorry that hahaha was in reply to downwinda
The following user(s) said Thank You: downwinda

More
6 years 11 months ago #28658 by crallan
Replied by crallan on topic User Banned.
Trolls suck, but I must admit that it was kind of nice with all the activity on the forum! To bad it had to be about pre-massage snorkeling from a two piece elite-ski :D

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
6 years 11 months ago #28660 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic User Banned.
I guess I have a little different take on this whole episode although it was starting to feel a bit Monty Python/ Groundhog Day-ish! I don't understand why people got so worked up over this. Nobody was forcing you to read it. Angry responses just kept this thread alive. I think the best response is no response. End of problem.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28668 by Uffilation
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Uffilation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28669 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic User Banned.
I tend to disagree, sometimes imo someone has to call them out if posted views get sick. He was hijacking other threads, too. Of course allways easier to say nothing and thus appear wise in the end.

However, link of laperousebay, see p. 5, sometimes silence is not enough ...:

www.dailydot.com/via/phillips-dont-feed-trolls-antisocial-web/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28672 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic User Banned.
I agree entirely Steve. I had no idea there was any agro bubbling away on this forum because I didn't read a single post of this guys thread. Every post he made on other threads while inoffensive to me added nothing to the topic. I therefore had no interest in reading anything he started. I did find it curious that there seemed to be a great number of responses to whatever he started. However I wasn't curious enough to even look at that particular thread. We're all different I suppose. I'm happy to admit I'm far from wise.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Atlas.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28673 by [email protected]
Yeah, there's a fine line between constructive and destructive stimulation of a discussion, and as you all know I'm generally very reluctant to ban or censor people.

But when I get old members emailing me to ask me to remove them from the system because they're so irritated, that's a red line for me!

Stay well, and keep paddling!

Rob

More
6 years 11 months ago #28674 by [email protected]
Yeah, there's a fine line between constructive and destructive stimulation of a discussion, and as you all know I'm generally very reluctant to ban or censor people.

But when I get old members emailing me to ask me to remove them from the system because they're so irritated, that's a red line for me!

Stay well, and keep paddling!

Rob

More
6 years 11 months ago #28681 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic User Banned.
Read the article. Good stuff. This is my first encounter with this kind of thing so maybe I'm a bit naive or more tolerant than others. I didn't perceive "Yoga" man as bullying but rather ignorant and opinionated about something he knew little about. The rehashing of boat pros and cons did get old. It almost seem like he had cognitive problems or dementia or drinking issues or never learned basic social skills. Cheers.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28682 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic User Banned.
Hmm... fortunate to have not followed or read this person's comments. However, fully trust and support Rob's actions on this as it is something he would not do unless there was just cause.

Now... upsized to a new Jantex Gamma Rio Medium Plus blade last weekend and baptised it in some very tough beam swell, windy and choppy conditions paddling my Stellar SEI.

Perfect... a match made in Heaven.

There you go... real Surfski Info! ;) :)

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
6 years 11 months ago #28683 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic User Banned.
Somebuddy throw me a bone here. Who are we talking about?

This forum has had its share of characters. I locked horns with rightarmbad multiple times. A thoughtful guy but so irritating. Kayakchampeen was very rude, but in his defense he was an actual expert paddler and once wrote a long conciliatory post appologizing and giving up his real name. That yogaventure guy - well if he was a troll then I fell for it because I tried to help and support him.

But who is this latest greatest troll?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics