Looking for new ski

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28651 by kwolfe
Looking for new ski was created by kwolfe
So as some of you know, I had a lapse in judgement and bought a V14 last year after having paddled a V8 for a year prior. While I don't regret that purchase one bit, I am sorry to say that the V14 is getting sold today. It's no that I couldn't handle the ski. Every time I got on it, I got a little bit better and the glide was addictive!

The issue is, I have a V8, OC1, and SUP that I also paddle. This means that I just didn't the time to dedicate to the V14 in order to really enjoy it and I want something that I can race in and be competitive.

So I was looking at an intermediate to advanced ski (V10S or V10 like boats). Having picked up the V14 as quickly as I did, I figure I should not have any issue putting down power in something like a V10. I'm not brand loyal. I only mention Epic because they are the only skis I have owned.

Just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone was thinning their herd a little. I'd rather not buy new because my budget. Thanks for any help. Oh, I live in central PA but wouldn't mind shipping a ski if it wasn't crazy expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #28652 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Looking for new ski
I think Cryder answered your question 2 days before you even asked it. Except of course that you wont get such a boat secondhand any time soon. He is not the first person I've heard say that anyone currently paddling or considering buying a V10 should at least demo the new V12. I know they're not cheap but it depends on what price you put on knowing you're in the right boat (assuming it works for you).

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Atlas.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28654 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Looking for new ski
Trust me, if money weren't as much of an object, I'd have a the equivalent of a V7, V8, V10S and V14.
One for every situation, location, and time of year. For now, I'll have to make due.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
7 years 2 weeks ago #28664 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Looking for new ski
I'm a very big fan of the V10S. Because of my small stature and light weight I gravitated to the V10L a couple of years ago but the performance gain over the Sport was so marginal (for me) that it was almost immeasurable.

There are so many new boats on the market today that deciding on the right one or right combination can be difficult. The old advice of just getting a V8 and a V10 was sage and still good, but the introduction of the V7, V8Pro and new V12 make the equation more complicated.

You are not too far away from our test center and we now have the full line up of Epic skis to demo. As soon as the river warms up come on over try them out.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28665 by kwolfe
Yeah I must admit that I love and hate buying a new boat. I think it to death. I still have my V8 right now so I can wait but I'm also like a kid wanting Christmas to come sooner than later.

Right now I have a few options.

Found a V10 Ultra for $2600 but it has a large carbon patch on the side that appears professional but never got repainted and looks like it would be hard to sell later with that.

Demo Nelo 560 for roughly the same price in the WWR layup. Nice looking boat and I hear it has loads more secondary stability than the V14 had. And for me, that would probably do the trick and make it enjoyable on flat days instead of the constant focus required by the V14. It would also fit in my garage which isnt a big deal but always nice. It's amazing that a short ski like that can be that fast. The only way I would get this is if I kept my V8.

Think Evo II in the elite layup. I hear the bucket and eros in this ski is amazing. When I look at Wesley's speed chart it right in between the V10S and V10. I know this is subjective but it's probably a good indicator. Plus, I would be able to take it out in rougher water and still be way faster than the V8. If I got this ski, I might consider getting rid of the V8 and using that money for something else.

I'd like to make a decision by the end of the weekend just because it would be one less thing to worry about. Wish I had a used V10 around because it might be the magic bullet but the EvoII doesn't look far off.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28666 by kwolfe
BTW, if I fit in the V14 bucket (quite a lot narrower than the V8) would I fit in the Evo bucket?

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28670 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Looking for new ski
Stellar SEL is also quick. Very stable. Easy to remount. Cheaper than the other makes.(usually). Bit like a v10. Good on the flat, not so good on small downwind, hopefully good on runs with a bit more push. Gen 1 is more stable than gen 2 model.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28675 by kwolfe
Thanks Dicko but at 6ft, 190lbs I think I'm too big for it. I have heard really good things about the SEI though. I could get a great deal on an ultimate layup Ion but I have read that it has too much rocker for a mostly flat water ski.

Funny but they're aren't many skis out there right now. Maybe in a few weeks. I'm itching to get a new one now though!

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28676 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Looking for new ski
No worries but I'm a lot heavier and taller than you and there is no way an SEL is for smaller paddlers. I find it interesting that the blurb when they first came out suggested that the hull is the same as the SE, but that the nose had lost some volume above the water line. Now my physics may be wrong (it often is), but unless you intend to paddle it upside down it shouldn't make any difference to how the boat floats. I did a downwind run in my wife's SEL last week and it was blowing 25 kts and the nose never looked liked burying.
I can tell you that they are faster than the v10 I had and more stable when it gets lumpy. Similar stability to an Evo but faster. The seats are not my favourite and the catch is wide, but as my mate Pete said "its like driving a Camry after owning a Ferrari".

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28690 by kwolfe
Thanks for the insight Dicko. Does anyone have a good contact number for Wesley Echols? I tried emailing but my emails are getting sent back due to some gmail issue. I can find a number to contact him at.
He has a couple of SELs I might really interested in.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28693 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Looking for new ski
Rivermiles has an SEL listed.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28694 by kwolfe
Do you have a link or screen print. I tried going to the website and it keeps giving me 404 Not Found error.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28696 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic Looking for new ski
Hey Kwolfe, sounds like you have white guy problems... Just like me! I'd suggest you align your paddling goals with your ski tastes. My impression is that ski's are moving away from a one size fits all model to an application specific one (downwind, flat water racing, light paddler spec, etc.). I started paddling about five years ago, went full retard and gravitated to ski's that far exceeded my ability. At times it was embarrassing... but I got good at remounting! I also made a lot of progress because I had the POV that I will only be young-ish and fit for a few more years, and need to make the most of my time on this great blue planet before I do the dirt nap with worms (and no more paddling - LAME!). So I pushed it HARD. Hours and hours of bucket time in lew of "stability before ability". But the industry changed as I was doing that, and lots of neat skis have become available that I consider gateway drugs. The V8pro is a riot in heavy seas, and the 2G V12 is shockingly stable and stupid fast too (perfect for a pretender like me). The V10L is amazing for guys in the 150lb range, and when you see them in a regular high volume ski designed for a gorilla, it's easy to see why (corking sucks! it hoses the water line entry point and raises the CG! Tippy and slow!). I think there are more ski options then there are paddlers at this point, so you're spoiled for choice. The key is then to pick a specific thing you want to develop and go full retard in that area - which I will ad includes traveling to events like the Gorge where you'll make light years of progress in five to seven days. Sometimes I recommend exposure to new conditions over new skis, because that is the key for a paddler to make breakthroughs ( I don't know much about your background - so please overlook my ignorance if you are a ripping DW paddler in search of your next drug). Hope that helps. PS - given your experience with the V14, demo a new V12, it's just ridiculous.

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
7 years 2 weeks ago #28700 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Looking for new ski
Gotta agree with Dicko the SEL is a great ski in all conditions.
If you can try one out make sure you take your Garmin as they feel slower than they are but will hold their own against the majority of skis but with a higher level of stability.
The older SEL has a large bucket which takes a while to drain if flooded but shouldn't be a problem if you're mainly paddling on the flat. The G2 SEL has much improved bucket and drainage.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28701 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Looking for new ski
Maybe you have already checked, but Wesley has some pretty good deals on Stellar on SurfskiRacing.com as well.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28703 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Looking for new ski
yes, rivermiles.com.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28704 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Looking for new ski
I am selling 1st gen V10 sport ultra. Florida location so shipping may be an issue.

More
7 years 1 week ago #28705 by kwolfe
Hey Cryder, was waiting for you to chime in. Yeah, The V14 was definitely a learning experience. The only reason I got rid of it is because I have an OC1 and SUP that I paddle as well and with work, kids, and girlfriend, I'm not able to paddle 7 days a week. During the summer I'll get out 4 times per week.. If the V14 were my only boat, I would have kept it.

I would try the new V12 but a new ski is just not in the cards right now. Need to keep looking used. I need to get remarried to increase my disposable income! :)

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm looking into the SEL now. Most everyone who has chimed in about this ski has two things to say:
1) It's fast and more stable than boats its speed
2) it's not good looking

I can deal with ugly.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 1 week ago #28707 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Looking for new ski
Just FYI, the Rivermiles forum has been down a few days now. Keep checking back as it is the best forum in the entire USA for used surfskis and other tippy boats (like Texas Unlimited boats, and home made long skinny things).

Scott should have the forum back up soon. Its normally online.

Good luck with the search!

More
7 years 1 week ago #28711 by kwolfe
Yeah, I keep checking his site. Nothing yet.

Anyone heading down past Phili or Harrisburg from up near RI for any races? Wesley does have a couple SELs which look great but I cabt make the 6hr drive anytime soon.

Latest Forum Topics