Stability trainer

More
6 years 11 months ago #28794 by mamaru
Stability trainer was created by mamaru
A lot of people (me included) seem to dream of a skinny ski, if it were not for stability. In my search for a device to train the lower back off the water I found this one to have the closest resemblance to a tippy boat: see attachment. It's just some fittings from the hardware- store setting up a kind of hinge.
Did anybody else ever try to do some stability training on dry land?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28796 by Kiwi Dave
Replied by Kiwi Dave on topic Stability trainer
Have a Google around for a 'greenland stool' ... its not something the Nordics take to their doctor don't worry ;)

More
6 years 11 months ago #28797 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Stability trainer
Here is a inexpensive method for stability training. Get a 65cm fitness ball and deflate it to the level that you can stay on it, (feet up) and continually add air as you become stable. Since I started doing this I've gotten very stable on my Vadja Spirit, along with time in the boat.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28799 by mamaru
Replied by mamaru on topic Stability trainer
My question was a little bit more specific: I was /am looking for a training device to simulate a tippy boat. So I tried quite a few things, for me fitness ball, Anglesey Wobbler , balance board and balance pad are all very similar to a sea kayak, not to a skinny ski. A bottle/ tube under a board is a step in the right direction, but while I have no problem to spend time on such a setup, I still have problems in narrow boats! The above presented solution now is tippy, I still struggle to stay "on board" like I do e.g. with a K1. I will practise and then have to see whether managing the Trainer comes to managing a boat, too...
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by mamaru.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28801 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic Stability trainer
I tried to post s couple of links to youtube clips but "they were rejected as spam.
Try search youtube for "kayak dry-land training for K1

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28804 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Stability trainer
A traditional Greenland balance board is effective and easy to make. This image is of Greenland champion Maligiaq Padilla practicing on one. You can alter the radius of the rockers to make this as challenging as you want. Make sure that there are no flat spots in the round rockers or you will be able to "cheat".

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by gstamer.

• malvina
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #28806 by malvina
Replied by malvina on topic Stability trainer
I have been using an exercise ball for the last six months with amazing results. I use a couple of tricks which I think maximize the efficiency of the exercise:

- I sit on a (not fully inflated) 65 cm ball while I place my feet on a smaller ball (a soccer ball) which makes the whole a very unstable platform.

- I keep my eyes closed during the whole exercise. It is amazing what a difference in difficulty it makes to have your eyes closed. My take is that without a visual reference, the brain needs to develop a skill to make the balance correction more intuitive / subconscious?

I took these tips from Kevin Brunette´s wonderful book: "surfski - perfecting your technique" and, at least in my case, they have made wonders in improving stability in the water. I normally do 4 or 5 sessions of 20 minutes each per week.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28829 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Stability trainer
I've been using the Swiss Ball along with the soccer ball on the feet and it has works well for balance training however I'm going to make one of these for home use. Simple to make and has a place for the feet that the Greenland dudes doesnt have.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Latest Forum Topics