Water shoes

More
6 years 7 months ago #29477 by mickeyA
Water shoes was created by mickeyA
A bit of a silly question: where do you get a thin pair of water shoes with somewhat rugged sole? Not a thick rubber sole, but thin. Enough protection from small rocks. I wear flip flops over small rocks to carry ski to water. Once submerged, they often suck to bottom and I lose them or they break. I've seen the perfect answer with ankle sock-looking fittings with soft thin tops and fairly solid bottoms that are thin enough to paddle in. My neoprene booties are too thick (and hot in summer) to paddle in. What's the answer? Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29478 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Water shoes
I use the Astral Loyak which have great boat shoe traction and more rugged uppers than the usual water shoes but still thin soles. I wash them out after each paddle and they don't stink!

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
6 years 7 months ago #29479 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Water shoes
For $85 the Astral Loyak better be good.
I bought a pair of neoprene for $5 and they allow the toes to bend so turning is still easy. Unfortunately they have no sole at all except small rubber dots.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #29484 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Water shoes
I use O'Neil Tropical RS booties. A watersports shop up the road have a lot of types, mainly for SUP and diving. These booties have a thin 2mm textured rubber sole. I launch from my condo complex and have a short walk on hot pavement, so these work out well to keep protected from stuff in the water too.

I paid around $50 for them. They are not good for cold water insulation, but I live in Florida. In the winter, I'll look at dive booties for that.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29518 by Schravesande
Replied by Schravesande on topic Water shoes
You can get a range of water shoes from aliexpress.com for next to nothing. The last I ordered were about $3-00 postage to South Africa was free. The quality is OK but delivery is extremely slow.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29526 by Hugh
Replied by Hugh on topic Water shoes
Vibram Fivefinger EL-X. The sole is very thin but protective and very grippy. The upper is very thin and dries quickly. They are secure enough for jumping around on rocks or swimming.

Latest Forum Topics