Epic Mid Wing

More
6 years 6 months ago #30040 by kwolfe
Epic Mid Wing was created by kwolfe
I looked around and couldn't really find the answer so thought I'd ask here. I have an old silver bladed Epic mid wing that came with my first V8. I'd like to replace it with a new one since the ring lock does let me adjust on the water easily and the one blade is getting a bit beat.

I was looking at the new mid wings and you can get a hybrid shaft with carbon blades for $300 USD or all carbon shaft for $450. I think the blend is only 2oz heavier. Are the two really $150 different? I guess the green hybrid shaft is supposed to be softer.

Has anyone here tried both side by side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30049 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Epic Mid Wing
I have tried both. I opted for the cheaper green shaft. I'm 52 and have dodgy shoulders and I really like the green shaft. It's nice and soft and feels just right for me. There is very little difference in swing weight as all of those 2oz are in the shaft and not the blades. If I was sprinting I might want a stiffer shaft but I don't and for a longer paddle or downwind I don't think it makes one bit of difference .... to me. I have switched to a Jantex gamma Rio small plus and really like it but even with the softest "flexi soft" shaft I find it to stiff. It's fine in a downwind but on a long grind of a paddle my shoulder get sore and don't with my Epic small mid. If I could choose the Epic green shaft with the gamma Rio blades I would be super happy. I think the stiffness in the Flexi soft shaft it similar to the Epic Burgundy shaft, maybe not exactly but from memory it seems similar. To me the 2oz difference in Epic shafts is negligible in practice and the green is easier on my body, plus it's a bargain.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

• rhainan
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30068 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Epic Mid Wing
I use both styles regularly. If I go long (which for me is over 10 km) I do reach for the green shaft with smaller blades on the theory that the greater flexibility will reduce the workload on my fragile shoulders and elbows. I have no science behind that, though. It just sounds right. Under 10 km I go for the stiff paddle.

With the bargains we have on end of season demo paddles you could afford both and be covered for all conditions!

Latest Forum Topics