Upgrading from a V7

More
6 years 6 months ago #30143 by Topender
Upgrading from a V7 was created by Topender
Interested to hear from other paddlers;

If I was to upgrade from a V7 to a faster multisport ski and only have one boat for ocean and shallow river racing/multisport events would the Stellar SEI in multisport hull be the fastest option or would I need to start with a Stellar SR in terms of stability? Any other options?

Have done a few ocean ski races and a couple of river paddles for multi sport events but now looking to do more with a faster/lighter ski. Most of my training is in the ocean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #30144 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Upgrading from a V7
The SR looks like the logical step up. Don't be in too much of a hurry, especially if you want a boat you can paddle in all conditions.

Are you able to demo both boats in choppy conditions? If so that's the best idea.

Also remember in multi sport you can be fatigued before getting to the paddle leg and when you are fatigued your balance can suffer.

My journey as a multisport paddler went

Finn Affinity (Plastic ski about as stable as V7) 6 months
Epic V10 sport Gen 1 (probably as stable as the SR (1 year)
Epic V10L Gen 1 (probably too big a step up for a 2-3 times a week paddler) ( 9 months)
Carbonology Vault Gen 1 (more an intermediate ski at the time) (1-2 years)
Carbonology Flash (Elite) (current)

In the V10 sport in some multisport races I'd overtake paddlers on elite level boats as I had the stability. From local paddlers the SR appears to be a popular ski, so cant go wrong if you buy it and want to upgrade in a year or so, it should be easy to sell. The higher you go with models the less demand when 2nd hand, so if you get the SEI and decide to step back you may find it harder to move on.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30145 by Topender
Replied by Topender on topic Upgrading from a V7
Might be able to tee up a demo interstate in a couple of weeks and see what the best option is. Yes fatigue is an issue and stability is an issue considering there are crocodiles around here in both the ocean and rivers. Best to be in the ski rather than the water!

More
6 years 6 months ago #30150 by Topender
Replied by Topender on topic Upgrading from a V7
Maybe can organise to demo a couple of boats interstate in a couple of weeks.
There are no dealers around here. Stability and balance is an issue considering there are crocodiles around here in both the ocean and rivers. Haven't come across one yet but there are plenty of traps around. It is always better in the boat then in the water!

Latest Forum Topics