Vinyl wrap question

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #30683 by Jef58
Vinyl wrap question was created by Jef58
Hello, I notice in pictures of ski races the use of some kind of neon orange type of wrap on the deck panels. Are these available as kits or are they made by local sign shops or DIY by paddlers themselves? Some look specific and pre-cut for mainly Fenn skis.

This stuff came up in my forum search...'ORACAL 6510 Fluorescent Orange Cast Vinyl Wrap'. If there are no real kits available, is this is what is used by DIY'er's ? If so, does anyone have experience on how it goes on and how long the neon lasts in saltwater/sunlight. I have a plain white ski and would like some more visibility on the water, and this looks like an economical option...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30684 by SurfskiEstonia
Replied by SurfskiEstonia on topic Vinyl wrap question
Interesting question. I until now thought those were specific to Fenn skis.

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #30691 by nwsurfskier
Replied by nwsurfskier on topic Vinyl wrap question
I recently tried to use the ORACAL 6510 Fluorescent Orange Cast Vinyl Wrap. It has a LOT of adhesion. I could not get it to apply evenly without a lot of bubbles. I ended up taking it off and ordered some 3M brand vinyl wrap, should know how it works in a few days.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by nwsurfskier. Reason: Wasn't really a recommendation, wanted to be clear

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #30693 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Vinyl wrap question
Thanks, I put in an order for the Oracal stuff last night. I will try it on my paddle shaft first. It was the small roll so not a lot of money wasted if it doesn't work out. Let me know how the 3M stuff works...

More
6 years 3 months ago #30703 by nwsurfskier
Replied by nwsurfskier on topic Vinyl wrap question
I used the 3M 1080 today. It worked great, super easy to apply and remove any bubbles. Will know more on the durability after paddling it a few weeks. Here's the amazon link to the product I used.

3M 1080 vinyl wrap

More
6 years 3 months ago #30704 by AdrianBruce
Replied by AdrianBruce on topic Vinyl wrap question
3M 1080 is the highest quality wrap film on the market - it will last for years. It also has air release technology (invisible microscopic channels in the adhesive that allow air bubbles to escape during application) and pressure activated adhesive (it won’t stick after you remove the backing, until you apply pressure to the surface you’re applying it to) making it easier to apply and giving a better installation result. It will be the most expensive option, but is worth every cent.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #30705 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Vinyl wrap question
Thanks once again. I'll be receiving the Oracal tomorrow and hold off putting it on the boat. Looks like I'll give the 3M stuff a go...

Latest Forum Topics