Ventura, CA

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #31038 by MCImes
Ventura, CA was created by MCImes
Hey Guys,
I remember someone on the boards here lives in or near Ventura, CA - Although not set in stone yet, my wife and I are likely moving there in the semi-near future for a new job.

I'm wondering where the good paddling spots are, what typical conditions are like, and if I could talk to you about the area (where to live, or avoid, things to do, ect).

Chime in if you're in the area or have recently left it.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #31040 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Ventura, CA
MClmes, I've grown up here, 50 years now. My first passion is surfing and enjoy paddling more in the spring and summer when the surf's not as good.
There are a dozen or so surfski paddlers in the Oxnard/Ventura area. A lot of them like me who tend to paddle solo for fun and recreation. There are a few that are more dedicated and travel the race circuit that tends to be farther south from Santa Monica to San Diego. There are a few local fund raising downwind paddleboard races to enter. Might get a couple surfski paddlers.We do have several outrigger canoe clubs that paddle out of all the local harbors and have a big annual race at Ventura harbor.
I consider the paddling conditions to arguably be some of the best anywhere. Wind blows here all the time. The two local harbors offer great access to both protected water and open ocean paddling. The Ventura Harbor Patrol is very water safety oriented and staffed with local waterman. Paddling sports and activities are well supported.
WInds out the west at 10-15 knots and seas 3'-5' are pretty common.
Ocean temps range from 49 - 75F, air temps low 30's to triple digits.
Local mountains get snow in winter.
The last big spring time downwind I did the winds were gusting 47 knots and seas were 15'-18' at seven second intervals. Kinda scary. Decided 3 miles into 9 mile paddle that I had made a mistake being out there ,but, there was no turning back and reaching the harbor was only option. One hell of a ride though and must have hit 20 mph on a couple runs when I wasn't getting tossed out of my ski like a rag doll.
The offshore Channel Islands National Park offers some of the best paddling venues and downwind opportunities you'll find anywhere on the planet.
Ventura is a great place to live other than it will probably be a bit more expensive than your used to. We are, unfortunately, a fast growing and increasingly popular beach town. At least our dogs are still reluctantly allowed to run free on some local beaches, not like LA.
There may well be quite a few hilltop oceanview lots for sale due the recent fire. About a dozen burned in my neighborhood and I was defending my house with garden hoses as the fire burned in my backyard.
We have great schools and very few undesirable neighborhoods.
From my observation the majority of people that move here stay here.
So many great things to do!
Feel free to give me a call - Kirk - eight o five four six nine - 8505 (can recieve text but I do not communicate by text and respond by voice).
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCImes

More
6 years 1 month ago #31045 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Ventura, CA
Kirk, I recently started surfskiing in Santa Barbara. I think we have a bit less wind here, at least so far I haven't seen all that many exciting conditions. But then I'm also not that experienced. Where do you end up paddling out of to get the best wind? (I assume it depends somewhat on the wind direction...)

More
6 years 1 month ago #31054 by Fath2o
TVE, your going to see the strongest prevailing winds during the spring between now and the end of may. Santa Barbara has some great downwind opportunities due to the prevailing wind and seas running more parallel to the coast than in Ventura. The winds due tend to be a bit stronger down here due to the topography of the of the Santa Clara
river valley/plain. I have seen great conditions along the coast between SB and Point Conception. I have enjoyed a couple runs from SB harbor to Carpinteria in SCA to gale force winds. It can be a challenging paddle with confused winds/seas and strong counter currents near Carpinteria reef.
My local down coast run is from Pitas point to Ventura Harbor. Again,
this run can be a bit challenging with the prevailing wind and seas are confused and quartering verses having more uniform conditions from behind. Option of course is to paddle straight up wind and turn around when you've had enough.
If your willing to drive to Ventura Harbor, the afternoons typically see min. 10-15 kn westerlies winds. There are a couple of somewhat hard to see stick bouys at 2 and 3 miles directly upwind (and offshore) from harbor.
My watersports activities have been somewhat limited due to recent neck surgery. But, give me a call if you want to come down for a paddle.

More
6 years 1 month ago #31055 by Fath2o
MCLmes, FWIW just found this article in local paper.

www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/2018/03/...st-top-10/424824002/
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCImes

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #31056 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Ventura, CA
Thank you Kirk! All very good info. I'll give you a call one of these nights to pick your brain on a few things.

I've passed the initial gate keepers and job prospect looks good so far. Hopefully I'll be joining you soon!

More
6 years 1 month ago #31057 by Fath2o
Here's a fun link. Looks like good paddling conditions today, Might have to get out there.

52b39e4528a6f.click2stream.com/

More
6 years 1 month ago #31058 by tve
Yup, I think the wind lines up better with the waves in your corner... I went this morning early and outside the SB harbor the wind comes off-shore from the NW while the waves come around the point from the WSW. It was a little chilly so be sure to check temps.
I'd love to come down to ventura for a joint paddle (well, I'm sure you'll take off way ahead of me). Do you have "typical" weekday/hours you go paddling? My schedule is very flexible. The wind forecast for next week does look pretty anemic at this point, though...
BTW, my email is tve -at- voneicken dot com

More
6 years 1 month ago #31059 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Ventura, CA
Everytime I read the title of your post I get this song stuck in my head. Thanks

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 1 month ago #31082 by tve
@MCImes, I took on the challenge and went to Ventura today to check out the conditions for you... I think you won't be disappointed :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Seriously, Kirk gave a me a very nice tour: 2mi upwind straight towards santa cruz island to a yacht club buoy and DW back in (for me) great waves, then some play in the surf right off the beach just north of the harbor. Thanks Kirk, I hope to repeat the fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
6 years 1 week ago #31235 by Fath2o
May have to schedule a downwind. Thorsten what do you think? Might be serious!?
www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regio...3&selected_model_id=

More
6 years 1 week ago #31236 by tve
I think this week-end was great too! But I did 11mi out of Santa Barbara harbor on Saturday morning with more advanced surfskiers than me and after that I needed a rest :-). I had a blast, though! Today was a calmer paddle, but my heart rate took a jump when I paddled around 3 whales that were courting or mating :-). I've yet to have a boring paddle around here!

Thursday late afternoon does look seriously exciting, you're right! Would that be straight out from the harbor like we did and back or is there a 1-way DW opportunity? I tend to use windy.com and they show wind and waves coming straight into the harbor, so it looks to me like an "out and back" thing.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31238 by Fath2o
May have to schedule a downwind. Thorsten what do you think? Might be serious!?

www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regio...3&selected_model_id=

We are talking major spring "Wind Event". Remember How I said last one I did turned out to be a mistake, but, I survived. I just kind of live for this shit. I found that if I smoke a little weed and take a low dose opiate all the pain goes away and I'm ready for anything.
So, we gear up with all our safety equipment ie: flares, radio, immersion garb, PFD's, equip. checklist etc. File a float plan with the Harbor Patrol and family etc.
We'll meet up at Mondos and probably have to paddle out through 6'+ surf and head offshore a few miles. Then it is balls to the wall downwind. About 9 miles to the harbor to a boat load of cold brews, yeah, that's what I'm talking about!
BTW, I doubt we will be able to stay together. Let me know!
Starting to Jones, Kirk

More
6 years 1 week ago #31239 by tve
I've not had much opportunity to paddle out through surf so far, so that sounds exciting :-). And yes, while I've gained a little more practice in DW since our last outing you will definitely be faster! Not obvious to me yet whether the wind will be straight onshore to the harbor or with a mor northerly component a bit more parallel to shore. Obviously you have experience while I'm only looking at forecast models, which don't seem to get that kind of detail right around here...

More
6 years 1 week ago #31264 by Fath2o
We're on like donkey kong. Gale force wind warnings!
52b39e4528a6f.click2stream.com/

Latest Forum Topics