Fenn XT

More
5 years 11 months ago #31319 by Davidw
Fenn XT was created by Davidw
Hi all

My wife has an older XT, not the oldest version but the version with the rudder moved forward but still with a double foot well.
She loves the boat but its pretty damn heavy, I'd guess 19 kg +.

Does anyone know whether the current single footwell version has any changes to the hull design below the waterline that would make any performance or stability differences?
I'm probably looking at a glass vacuum version which should be about 5 or 6 kg lighter, to make it easier for her to handle off the water.

I've also considered getting a V8 Pro for her (although they seem difficult to come by).
Can anyone compare the Pro with an XT?
She finds the Bluefin to big and "loose" for her, being only 165 and 57kg.

She only paddles for fun and fitness, no downwinds or rough stuff.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31321 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Fenn XT
No experience with the V8 Pro, but had a new version XT. I replaced the XT with a Knysna CLK which is similar to the XT in dimensions and stability but the seating fit was much, much better for me. The CLK may feel big for someone your wife's size, but is moves through the water a lot better than the XT. I think the CLK and the Genius line gets overlooked when people are looking, they have a really nice lineup to choose from...
The other option would be something like the Think EZE. I have one in a river layup and it is pretty light and quick. The fit would be better for her in that boat than most of the other offerings IMO. I'm short, so I tend to go with fit over a lot of other things.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jef58.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31322 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Fenn XT
I had a “current” XT for a while which I used as my default downwind boat. I quite like the way the XT handles in rough water (mine had a very aggressive DK rudder). However it is an ancient design with a very wide catch (among other frustrations). I replaced it with a Think Zen. The V8 pro is a very modern design and although I’ve only paddled it briefly I consider it to be far superior to the XT. A small paddler in particular will definitely appreciate the narrow catch of the V8 pro as well as the handles, the fast draining cockpit and several other design features.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Atlas.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31323 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic Fenn XT
Thanks Jef58 and Atlas. Unfortunately the only Think that is readily available in SA as far as I am aware is the EVO II.

The V8 Pro is kind of a wishlist item. I enquired about a V8 Pro with the SA Epic agent in August and was told October. Followed up in December and they said maybe January but they would contact me. Still nothing...

Fenn, Carbonology and Genius are all locally made so easy to come by. The Genius CLK may be a good one to try. Thanks.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31327 by Jef58
Davidw, if your wife was ok with the catch on the XT, the CLK could be a good option. The catch area is slightly wider than the EZE, but doesn't seem to affect my paddling either way.

I'm similar in height as your wife (not weight:) and paddle mainly for fitness as well. I would have liked to have a Zen, but none were available at the time and wasn't sure when they would be.... I found a lightly used CLK locally so I checked it out. I was impressed with the seating fit and smaller footwell area, so I bought it and very happy with it.

Living on the Florida Intercoastal, it's easy to get out on the water which can range from dead flat to very windy and sloppy. Both XT and CLK have a more planted feel in sloppy water than the Think, so CLK turned into my main ski.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31329 by Hacker Mike
Replied by Hacker Mike on topic Fenn XT
Hi

She could also look at the Nelo 520. Stable, light, VERY easy to handle on land, narrow nose/catch, extremely maneuverable and a great fun boat in small to moderate conditions.

A bit pricey in SA compared to Fenn/Carbonology, but pretty comparable to Epic for similar layup.

Regards
Michael
M
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Hacker Mike. Reason: Spelling up to shit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davidw

More
5 years 11 months ago #31334 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Fenn XT
I have had a carbon XT sitting in my rack since 2010 (as a intro boat to friends) and I must say it continues to be a great boat in its category if you get rid of the shark fin rudder. the improvement of newer boats is pretty marginal (yes I know: narrower catch, nicer color scheme, handles ++).

Get a nice and big 9" DK rudder and it gets even more stable and steers like on tracks, and it is a great playboat for DW building skills. I would say it easily holds a 11+ kph flatware speed as well (and if you are paddling faster you probably are ready for a faster 45cm boat anyway.

if you find a carbon model it is only 10,5 kilos, and you dont need the handles :-) The heavier layups are great as well, as that will just make it more stable.

Only reason to get rid of it is if the bucket makes your butt hurt. pain in the butt (ha ha ) is IMHO the best reason to change brands.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31336 by Jef58
I agree fredrik, the only reason I sold mine was the bucket area. The hump had a long transition to the footwell that was not comfortable for my shorter legs. Im not knowledgable enough to know what an ancient design is as far skis go, what works, works regardless of time. I wanted to replicate the feel of the XT with better fit (for me)...

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31337 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Fenn XT
Love my Gen 1 XT. It's a blast downwind, boat wakes, surf zone etc. I use Think 10" elliptical rudder. Don't seem to have comfort issue
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Fath2o.

Latest Forum Topics