Kai Wa'a Surfski

More
3 years 8 months ago #37201 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski
I am 5’11” and have been 155-165 Lbs paddling the vega for the past year.  I wont repeat how much i love this ski downwind. I do get the feeling that i am lighter than ideal for the ski, but not any more so than I have felt in all the other 21 foot elite skis I have paddled. Full size skis all feel a bit corky to me in the bump, and on flat water I am faster in k1 than a 21’ ski. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #37202 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski
Thanks for quick reply Zach, I know what you mean about corky, that's exactly how the Fenn Elite S felt to me but I love the Spark.
I had my heart set on getting a shorter ski next (V11, Surge, Nitro 60, etc) but will try and get a demo in a Vega. In the end dimensions don't really matter if the ski works for me.

I had an interesting encounter with a Vega while doing the Perth Doctor downwind race. I managed to collide with one mid race and knocked the other guy out of Vega. I waited round to make sure he was okay and it took him a few attempts to get back in then he disappeared into the distance!

More
3 years 8 months ago #37203 by pnwpaddler
Replied by pnwpaddler on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski

grasshopper wrote: Any lighter paddles using the Vega, I'm about 73 kg/160 lbs and 180 cm/5'11".
Any feedback much appreciated.

I'm also 5'11", about 170 lbs right now. Felt great to me. It doesn't actually have a ton of volume, it's just placed in the right spots, so it doesn't feel like too much boat to handle. Any lighter paddlers will probably appreciate the light weight of the ski as well. Regular models are 20-21 lbs. I'm probably going to go for a pro model which comes in at around 17-18 lbs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grasshopper

More
3 years 8 months ago #37204 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski
Like the reports. Keep 'em coming. 

How would the boat ride with a larger paddler like 6'1(185cm) 195(88 k)? I'd love to demo a Vega and Vega flex to see how they compare to an Epic v10. 

Thanks

More
3 years 7 months ago #37231 by Jonathansanborn
Replied by Jonathansanborn on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski
I'm just over 200 and have owned a gen2 v10 elite, and a downwinded a couple times in a gen3 v10 elite. I loved both boats. The first time I paddled the Vega I was amazed at it's responsiveness (read light and stiff) and how well it surfed. It was tippier than the V10 for sure, but I never came out in some HR gorge downwind conditions, and was so much more fun than either V10. Remounting was a bit of a challenge. I was looking for a ski like a swordfishS that was a bit more responsive than my V10G2, but the Vega was too tippy and the remount too sketchy for my need to NOT be a liability on downwinds. When I heard about the flex I ordered one right away. I have never wished I'd waited. Even with the lack of bailer and slow draining in flat water, I love this boat. Has some looseness, but the secondary builds and builds. I have come out a few times, but the remount is pretty easy with the low sides. Compared to the Vega boats the V10 feels a little dull. The Epic boats do have LOTS going for them. Super great builds, their foot plate stays put, and they have a great bailer. I opted for the feel and look of Kai boat though. Love having colors (vs black) so my boat shows up in the water, and love the way it catches, hops, and carves in waves. I also, love it in flat water... some of my better efforts against Zach this season have been in that boat.

Current: Vega Flex, V12 g1, V8double
Past: Vector Spec Ski, V10 g2, Ares OC-1

More
3 years 7 months ago #37232 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski
Perfect. Exactly the kind of feedback that I'm looking for. I love the Epic skis, but damn, those Kai boats are sexy. Gotta get my hands on a flex. I liked the Epic g2v10, but after trying a v12g2, the v10 didn't seem much different than my v8pro. The v12 is a bit twitchy, but once it's moving its solid. If the Vega boats feel anything like that, I'm stoked.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37242 by Nordy
Replied by Nordy on topic Kai Wa'a Surfski
I have no chance of ever getting a go on a Vega here in Japan, but Oh My Lord, I can only hope that our paths will one say cross! I was probably the last person in this country to get a 4K TV, but when I see that Vega slice through the Hawaiian swells on Kai's brilliant promo video, I can almost imagine what it must be like. To all you Vega owners out there, you lucky lucky Bs! :-) Enjoy. 

Latest Forum Topics