Paddle shaft grip tape

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31544 by Hiro
Paddle shaft grip tape was created by Hiro
Just saw this product on a FB add. As I remembered this topic being discussed in another thread a few days ago, tought I might just as well post it there.
It's designed for SUP paddles but it should work on a kayak paddle just as well.
Wonder if any of you has already tried it.

www.rspro.org/products/paddle-grip-rspro...?variant=40202669255
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31546 by [email protected]
Looks good. I've been using tennis racquet grip tape for years too - it also works just fine. I have to replace it about once a year.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31552 by atlanticsup
Replied by atlanticsup on topic Paddle shaft grip tape
I notice some people do only one side, and others both sides.

I've just added a tennis grip to only the right hand side of my paddle as this is my dominant side, and I had noticed on longer paddles my hand felt a bit strained, and I feel that my left hand does not need it. Definite improvement and wish I had done it a while back though not sure if I need to have tape on both sides.

It could be a reflection of my poor technique though would be interested in what other people think.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by atlanticsup. Reason: grammatical mistakes corrected

More
5 years 11 months ago #31554 by [email protected]
Most people I know put tape on the "grip" side only, which in my case is on the right.

Some people put surfboard wax on the non-grip side. I guess the wax gives the left hand some grip but doesn't stop the hand rotating around the shaft during the stroke.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31560 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Paddle shaft grip tape
Dumb question: if you paddle with no feather is there a grip side? How do you determine your grip side?

What does the tape do in terms of calluses? When I started paddling I got calluses at the base of all my fingers, but they're now mostly gone. I do have some left at the base of my thumbs, which seems to come from lifting the paddle out of the water. I sometimes slip with a hand during the recovery when applying full power and assume the tape may help. But it's not worth it if rubs my skin raw...

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31570 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Paddle shaft grip tape
Hiro, that grip tape(?) looks interesting. I have not tried it but I'm always willing to try new products. My impatience usually results in me buying things first because everyone else is too normal. If I order it, it'll be soon, and I'll post what I think.

I've been content with wax from this company:
www.ebay.com/i/171094065317?chn=ps
Even when it's mostly all worn off, there's still a micro-layer that provides a bit of both grip and slip. It's a bit tackier than surfboard wax and it doesn't seem to ball up like surfboard wax does.

I've also been playing around with this stuff for my control hand:
www.gorillasnotusa.com/
It's really sticky and lasts for quite a while. A combo of the two above is what I'm trying now and it seems to be good thus far.
EBorgnes
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by nell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
5 years 11 months ago #31582 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Paddle shaft grip tape
I like using gloves. My hands can go anywhere and they also allow for better grip when I have to remount.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
5 years 11 months ago #31583 by nwsurfskier
Replied by nwsurfskier on topic Paddle shaft grip tape
Jantex paddles have a nice texture on the shaft that keeps my hands from slipping

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31587 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Paddle shaft grip tape
It's interesting to see the different shaft treatments people use.
Obviously a very personal thing. I have used surf wax on oar, hammer, wheel barrow, shovel handles etc. with great success to prevent blisters and helps preserve the wood too. Oh yeah! I've also used a lot of surf wax on surfboards too! Not sure I would want to put it on my paddle shaft. I have gotten used to not having any shaft treatments. I simply wet my hands and shaft at the beginning of a paddle and if it feels to slippery I rough up the control side with sand.
I have noticed that having separated the AC joint in my right shoulder from a surfing accident, my right arm is about 3cm longer than my left.
I now have asymmetrical placement of my hands on my paddle shaft with my left hand noticeably closer to the blade than my right. Good thing surfskis have rudders or I would be paddling in circles :laugh:

Wow! I guess I have to take back what I said about paddle shaft treatments. Just pulled out an old paddle(s) on my way to the beach and found that I had used heat shrink tubing (that I found in the trash) on them. Works pretty good too.
My old paddles are round shafts where my new on is oval and doesn't seem to need alteration.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Fath2o.

Latest Forum Topics