Next boat recommendations

More
5 years 10 months ago #31628 by sski
Have a V10 sport that I'm very comfortable in , racing flatwater, even using multiple (5) instability foam pads. Can paddle less effectively (balance training) with 6-7 pads. Will use this boat to transition to downwind paddling on lakes and river.
Will be buying a 2nd boat for racing flatwater and wanted some suggestions. Plan to look for used. Entertaining V12 or even V14 (I don't mind working a lot on stability, it's part of the fun). Or Stellar SES. Maybe a Think Ion or Evo. I don't know that much about the different models but have been researching on internet. So I'm coming here for advice.
thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31661 by [email protected]
(Apologies for the long wait to get this post moderated, I've been struggling with the forum...)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 10 months ago #31665 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Next boat recommendations
I'm sure you will get responses from more qualified surfskiers, but my 2c is that the V12 is more awesome in the ocean than in flatwater, so in the Epic elite skis I'd be targeting a V14 if I were you. The Think Evo is likely not enough of a step up from a V10 sport, so I'd look at least at the Ion in the Think line...
Overall, I highly recommend trying! Testing flatwater is much easier than trying in the ocean, so no excuses ;-). If you have to spend a day driving to try a couple of boats that's really worth it. They don't come cheap and if you get "the wrong one" the effort you'll spend selling it will be much, much higher.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31670 by Henning DK
I agree that the new Epic V12 as well as the new V10 are improved for waves, but if you really want it for flatwater, go for the V14 or the older gen. 2 version of the Epic V10, if you can find one - I think that would be a really good choice. Or a V10L if you are not too big for that. I have tried all of these.
Don't know about other brands.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31671 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Next boat recommendations
If you are considering an SES then presumably you’re not too heavy. If this is the case then as others have said a V10L makes a lot of sense. The fit out and finish will be familiar to you. The other thing I personally like about the V10L for paddling on calm water is that it has less rocker than the current V12 or V10 and also less wetted surface. Both these features help in flat conditions when you are providing all the power in the absence of wind and waves.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 10 months ago #31672 by sski
Replied by sski on topic Next boat recommendations
Oh I didn’t know the stellar were for lighter people. I am about 190 pounds, a little over 6 foot tall. Eventually, I would also like to transition the new boat to surfing but I think that might be 2-ish years off.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31680 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Next boat recommendations
The SES would be fine in terms of weight limit. It would be a suitable challenge stability wise too. I’ve never paddled one but by all accounts they are a fast boat if you can keep it upright. I think it might be quite suitable for you given what you’ve stated you’re looking for in a ski. The V10L would be marginal. Probably OK in flat water but too wet for you in any kind of waves. The V 10 2G would be another good ski for you. They are not the most awesome downwind boat for reasons that actually make them good in calm to moderate conditions (as long as you are strong enough to drive a 6.4 metre long hull). For this reason they can be bought pretty cheap now that everyone is frothing over the V10 3G, V11 and the current V12. The Think skis particularly the Ion seem to be more ocean / downwind skis. They are great designs but they don’t really seem to be optimised for flat water paddling. The same can be said for Fenn skis except the Elite Glide and the new Surge. There are of course other great skis out there.
I wouldn’t be living too far in the future if I were you. I would test as many of the skis on my shortlist as practical and buy the one that will best meet my needs for now. Given that you have a really well proven stable ski already you have some leeway to get something that will challenge and excite you.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 10 months ago #31681 by Cerca Trova
The Stellar SES like the Epic V10 is for smaller people. A good around ski is the Stellar SEL. I had the G1 and G2. I actually preferred the G1.
I'm currently paddling an Epic V11, and a Vadja Next 43. The Vadja is more stable. I really do not see much info, nor hear anyone talk about the Vadja. I could not find a used one so I bought it new. If you get a chance to paddle one I would definitely recommend it!

More
5 years 10 months ago #31682 by Cerca Trova
V10L I meant to say.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31685 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Next boat recommendations
For flat water you really need something without rocker. A while ago red7 released their red7 pro, which was renowned as a flat water rocket. Then everyone started making boats that went like the clappers on flat water, the original v12, the earlier uno max, a fenn glide and if you can find one, a red7 pro. In a lot of respects you would be better to buy an earlier version of most of the current models. In the last few years, manufacturers have started adding more rocker to improve downwind performance. Save some money and find an older, low rocker ski, preferably in carbon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
5 years 10 months ago #31689 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Next boat recommendations
The old Fenn Mako Millenium is, I'm sure arguably, one of the fastest surfskis ever made. It is very unstable. I regularly see them for sale on craigslist for less than a $1000.00. IMO it would be a great flat water racing ski.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31693 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Next boat recommendations
The only problem with the millenniums is the fixed foot length. I might be wrong but I had a mate who had one a long time ago and I'm sure his leg length was fixed. If you could paddle and remount that, you could paddle and remount anything.

Latest Forum Topics