Preventing SSki Theft from vehicle

More
5 years 9 months ago #31986 by sski
Usual precautions already assumed if out and about- well lit area, more public spot if possible. I use Yakima racks on my large SUV. They could just cut the straps and the boats are light. Low risk/possibility...BUT...what do folks do to secure their boats?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31989 by Fath2o
Insurance?

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #31990 by sski
Yeah, woefully underinsured on vehicle, prob 500-1000 per rep at USAA. Thought bike cable lock but not much to loop thru except handle or maybe footwell side? I asked about special rider (like you get for wedding rings etc) but boats are specifically excluded. What type of insurance has anyone obtained? Thanks.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by sski.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31991 by Ronbo
Use Kanulock straps. www.kanulock.com. They have two stainless steel cables running down the side and a locking mechanism. You can still get around them, but much more secure than normal straps. I also use these when on long motorway trips as there is no stretch and they just feel more solid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sski

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #31992 by ccchappell
We are fortunate that all our skis have bailers we can thread a cable through then secure to truck or trailer. Just have to be careful when threading cable through bailer not to damage gasket, or bailer itself...but works great for us. I've been using MasterLock Python cables of various lengths...lock the boats together as well as couple secure places on truck/trailer MasterLock Python Cables

I was able to buy online a 30' and 15' cable with the same key, believe it was on Amazon??

Chris
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by ccchappell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sski

More
5 years 9 months ago #31993 by Wingnut
I had riders on my canoes with auto owners. I'm thinking of switching back to them so I can insure my ski and canoe.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31994 by firtree
I use this for my s18s that I keep on a kayak rack at a private club:

www.lassosecuritycables.com/

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #31995 by Fath2o
I'm about 60 miles north of Los Angeles in a coastal town and virtually no one here knows what is strapped to the roof of my van. Even when I try to explain it, telling them it is a kayak, they still ask me if I stand up on it. I don't think twice about leaving it unlocked on my roof racks. Friends of mine have had surfskis and canoes permanently stored on the roof of their vans for decades and haven't had a problem. Probably would be hard to use or offload a ski around here without someone familiar with the ski noticing. Heisting and transporting a surfski and reselling is a lot more difficult than offloading a cell phone, laptop jewelry, etc. You just have to do what you are comfortable with.
Good luck.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Fath2o.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32003 by sski
Has anyone used the YAKIMA RIPCORD?

Latest Forum Topics