Cold weather surfski top

More
5 years 7 months ago #32649 by Epicpaddler
With the weather getting cooler here in the Northeast US, looking at getting a new surfski paddling top. Maybe something to go over my 3/4mm farmer john wetsuit. Something that is good for cool/cold weather that breathes well. Anyone have experience with the options from Vaikobi in the Vcold series?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32659 by TomVW
Replied by TomVW on topic Cold weather surfski top
I have no experience with the Vaikobi Vcold top (only the pants, which I find itchy, and do not wear anymore).

Anyway, in our mild Belgian winter with air temperatures around freezing p[point and water between 4 and 7C, my paddling outfit consists of:
Flatwater (where I don't expect immersion):
- 3mm neoprene booties with waterproof socks underneath
- Hiko Lars paddling pants (PU outer layer with fleece inner layer)
- thermal long sleeve top (Palm Tsangpo)
- Kokatat paddling jacket

For sea paddling:
- 3mm neoprene booties with waterproof socks underneath
- 3mm neoprene farmer john
- thermal long sleeve top (Palm Tsangpo)
- Palm Surge drytop (paying extra care to fastening the lower velcro against water ingress)

I find that the outfit above keeps me warm enough and not too sweaty. It is not completely dry in case of immersion, but still good enough in case of a quick plunge.

On the other hand, I do not rely on my gear to keep me dry and warm in case of repeated immersion. If the conditions are such that I expect to swim often, I just take my seakayak and rely on a good roll to stay dry.

I am really happy about the Kokatat paddling jacket for workout paddles. Breathes really well and keeps the wind chill away. The wrists are not watertight enough that I would wear it if repeat immersion is expected, though.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32660 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic Cold weather surfski top
I have a fair bit of vaikobi gear. The v-cold pants are ok but I prefer enth degree pants and enth degree shorts for winter. I'm not in NE USA though, which I imagine gets seriously cold.

The vaikobi v-cold tops are fine, I use the storm series, they also have a v-cold vest. The vest over the top is insane warm and for even more insane warmth pop a thermal underneath it all as a base layer. For spring, the vest over a thermal is awesome and lose the thermal on the sunny days.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32665 by zachhandler
The vaikobi stuff is very nice to wear. But I see a lot of people under the impression that it has some insulating value in the water. It does not. In the water it is no warmer than wearing a bikini. Above the water it insulates and breathes about like a lot of synthetic cold weather base layers. The material itself does not function that different from what you could get from Craft or any other good outdoor apparel maker. The fit is what makes it stand out. more paddle specific cut and seam placements.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 7 months ago #32667 by Epicpaddler
Thanks Zach,

That's what I was looking for. I thought the VCold storm was like a thin insulating layer. I guess traditional quick drying fleece does the same thing.

Latest Forum Topics