1st gen Nelo 560 vs Epic V14

More
5 years 6 months ago #32697 by SurfskiEstonia
Dear forum members,

Ever since I've read the reviews on the Nelo 560 1st generation, it had become something of a holy grail ski: K1-like, unstable, fast, romantic.

I paddle in relatively calm waters and 90% of the time in the summer there is always enough wind to move the water in nice 20-40cm waves, and very very rarely waves big enough to think of a stable ski. I currently use a Nelo Ocean ski L and can paddle in those mild conditions in all directions with pauses between strokes, hands in the air thinking about technique - so quite stable in my opinion. I've recently tried a more stable Vajda ski and found the added fatigue completely unnecessary, so definitely thinking of a faster ski than mine.

The kayak shop of Arjan Bloem in the Netherlands currently has a used 1st gen 560 in their inventory in full carbon: www.kanokoopjes.nl/prod.php?id=8252. It has been burning a hole in my mind for the last couple of days. The question that bothers me: is this boat noticeably faster on flat water / small waves than an Epic V14 in performance layup (11kg vs 15 kg; the ski weight question is just a detail)? My own physical parameters are 183 cm, 87 kg with clothing.

Because if this Nelo isn't faster, it'd be infinitely smarter to go for the V14 and use it's surfing capabilities which are, at least by what I've read, much more accessible in bigger conditions than those of the original 560.

Anyone who has paddled both, I'd be really grateful for Your input!!

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32703 by JS
Replied by JS on topic 1st gen Nelo 560 vs Epic V14
Hi!

I own a Nelo 560 1st gen WWR Ski and really love it. The old 560 is an awesome boat but I would not really title it as a surfski. It's much more a sit on top K1 style boat. It is almost as unstable as a modern K1. There is a mini flattish hull section in the middle, but mostly it is round and skinny. Rails are high, so remount is not easy but manageable. Cockpit is very narrow, big guys often just do not fit or feel uncomfortable (squeezed). For me it is a perfect fit (68kg, 1,78m). Seat is quite high, which makes a great paddling position but adds to the tippyness. Adding the extra length and volume compared to a K1 it makes a "Super K1" in my eyes.
For flat water paddling it is perfect. Especially when there is chop and motor boat waves and small wind waves you will feel superior to a K1 because of all the surfski benefits. That will probably make you paddle faster as you do not have to worry about flooding the boat or burying it in waves etc.
Build quality is great. But mine is from 2012, so mine does not have the seamless design. You need tools to adjust the pedals, and you should consider a DK Rudder. The little splash cover over the footwell often gets damaged during transport.
I paddled the 560 in downwind conditions on Baltic Sea a couple of times but never felt safe then. It was always scaring because it is simply too tippy. There is no such thing like secondary stability, it is just unstable in any way! Remounting in waves is no fun at all. You do not want to have that feeling off shore.

The old 560 might be the fastest boat I ever paddled. I think for light paddlers like me you will not find anything more responsive beside K1s.
I've been paddling the V14 GT for comparison: Superb boat, but for me not superior to the 560 as it feels too long and big for me. But the V14 is much more ocean capable in the right hands. So big advantage there.

My 560 is about 12kgs I think. You will definitely love the super light "E" version on and off the water. A fast and skinny boat really feels super great when it is super light as well.

In the end I just aquired a Epic V11 elite recently which now replaces the 560. The hull is a little slower but adding the extra stability I can paddle the same speeds on flat especially when exhaustion sets in. And I can use the V11 on open ocean with confidence now.

So if you are looking for a flat water monster machine and you fit the bucket: Go for the old 560! Especially for that money you'll find nothing faster.

But with your 87kgs you'll might not fit the Nelo so the V14 might be a great alternative. But I don't know if there is much benefit compared to your Nelo Ocean Ski L, especially considering that the V14 in performance ist quite heavy...

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
5 years 6 months ago #32706 by SurfskiEstonia
Many thanks, JS! This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for!!

From this I deduct that buying it without sitting in the bucket may become an unpleasant mistake. I did buy my Ocean ski without trying it and it work out great, but guess it's not reasonable to expect to win a lottery twice :D

My weight, contrary to the typical kayak paddler, is mostly in the legs, so it could be a significant issue, if the bucket is narrower than in my current ski, which is just
sufficient for me to fit in.

Regarding the weight, I think the performance layup of a V14 is under 15 kg.. my Ocean ski is 14kg and I think it's light enough :)

The main reason I am fixated on the original 560 is the K1-like ergonomics. After trying a couple of sprint kayaks I have been dreaming about that type of seat height in a sea-worthy kayak. Having said that, how would You compare the seat height and the overall ergonomics of a 560 and a V14? Is the 560 significantly higher?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Latest Forum Topics