Cracked Paddle

More
5 years 5 months ago #32996 by Nordy
Cracked Paddle was created by Nordy
Can you crack a paddle paddling??

I got back from a paddle today, and noticed a crack running half way across the blade, about 8 cm from the neck, not the toe of the paddle.

I definitely didn’t bang it on anything. Don’t usually bang it against the cut outs when paddling either. Pretty sure it wasn’t cracked on Tuesday when I went out last.
So did it crack paddling today? I’ve had it about 4 years.

Second question, can I continue using it? Or is there a chance of the blade completely snapping off during a paddle?

Thanks guys. Pretty bummed about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #32997 by Nordy
Replied by Nordy on topic Cracked Paddle
Apologies Robin for sticking this in announcements page by mistake.

More
5 years 5 months ago #32999 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Cracked Paddle
My experience says the simple answer is, yes. I have a paddle that developed cracks closer to the neck from what I would consider to be, maybe, harder than average use. I reinforced it with epoxy, fiberglass and cabasyl, but, as you can see in the picture below, the crack reappeared. So, this paddle is not might first choice to use on a serious downwind. I also snapped a blade, in the same area you are describing, while being drug toward the beach locked in my foot straps on a large wave.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nordy

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #33002 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Cracked Paddle
My wing paddles have held up fine, but I've cracked various parts of my ZRE brand carbon canoe paddles on multiple occasions. I've crushed the grip, cracked the shaft just above the blade, and cracked the blade planting it down hard on a sand bar. All 3 times I've repaired it successfully.

If the crack has severed the threads of carbon, there is a weak spot and a catastrophic failure is likely to propagate from the small crack, as it has created a weak spot in the weave. Also, since its high up on the blade, there is a lot of amplified lever force on it, so I would say it is likely to fail without repair.

I'd repair the area with 1 layer of 6oz carbon cloth to ensure your paddle lives on. I attached my composite repair instructions for reference.

I'd avoid using fiberglass to repair carbon, because like Fath's experience shows, glass flexes a lot more than carbon and the crack may reappear because the carbon is more rigid than the glass. In general, I'd alwaus recommend repairing with like cloth (or in the case of Kevlar, use carbon because Kevlar cannot be sanded - glass and carbon can)
Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #33003 by Nordy
Thanks for the link and the detailed instructions MCImes.
If you saw my last attempt at an FRP repair, you'll know that I'll definitely follow that advice about practicing first on a bucket! :-)
Those instructions are such a great resource though mate. Thank you very much for sharing that. My weekend job now.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33004 by Nordy
"I also snapped a blade, in the same area you are describing, while being drug toward the beach locked in my foot straps on a large wave. "
If that wasn't enjoyable enough as it was! The broken paddle was the icing on the cake.
:-)

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #33012 by sski
Replied by sski on topic Cracked Paddle
2 linear cracks from the inner edge to the base of the blade (right across from each other).
How would you suggest fixing this?
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by sski.

Latest Forum Topics