Survey 2018

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 1 month ago #33111 by Steve Hansen
Survey 2018 was created by Steve Hansen
It's been a long time since we've had a survey here at Surfski.info. Might be fun to see where the sport is growing, changing feather angles, paddle and ski preferences, location and age info. How about it Rob ? Hope you are mending well !
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Steve Hansen. Reason: Subject title change, easier to find in 'search' hopefully

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #33112 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic New survey ?
Pow! Survey for us all:

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe-raCz...viewform?usp=sf_link

Edit - I think I just made the responses available for public view. whoever takes the survey next, let me know if you can see the results.

Results here:  docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe-raCz...Vl-eEA/viewanalytics  
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by MCImes.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33113 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic New survey ?
Thanks ! Can you add paddle length, age, weight, gender, model ski: swordfish etc. (write-in)

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #33115 by MCImes
Updated with age/weight/paddle length/boat model questions for steve
If you already answered I think you can re-answer just the new questions. 

Something interesting - no one rated themselves elite, but 4 people would choose a 43cm boat if thay could only have one. To me, if you want a 43cm boat as your only craft, at minimum your balance is elite, even if your physical conditioning is not in the top 1%. Just thought that was kinda interesting. 
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by MCImes.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #33116 by paddlepop
Replied by paddlepop on topic New survey ?
I just did the survey and viewed the progressive results.  surprised and delighted to see so many Epic owners and that 7% of respondents have a V5. and also by the high % of fellow zero offset paddlers.  good one!
Pete
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by paddlepop.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33118 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic New survey ?
In all fairness to our Canadian friends you should change the America location to North America or give them their own location. Interesting results so far. No women ? Thanks again.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #33119 by MCImes
Yes, that should read North America in the survey. That was a copy/paste error, my bad. Please forgive and lump canada in with 'US' :)

More
5 years 5 months ago #33120 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic New survey ?
Cool!

But there is no alternative for paddle sizes in the range [720 - 730) ...

Erik

More
5 years 5 months ago #33122 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic New survey ?
In light of the survey results, it looks like a lot of folks still have a sea kayak or SUP. To those folks- How much do you still paddle the other craft? I've only paddled my SUP and sea kayak a few times since I picked up my surfski this past summer. It's  a different mindset when I'm paddling my ski. I'm constantly trying to improve my form and paddle faster or longer. When I paddle my SUP or sea kayak it's more leisurely. I'm just cruising along enjoying the scenery like watching an eagle or the fall colors. I'm torn right now as we head into winter to transition back to my sea kayak and greenland paddle or to try training throughout the winter to be ready for the spring racing season. 

More
5 years 5 months ago #33123 by Henning DK
Replied by Henning DK on topic New survey ?
About 30% Nelo is probably more than expected (European answers, I assume), but I think Nelo deserve their own category ;-)
And my wetsuit is 5+ mm, but I clicked 3-4 mm which is too cold for Denmark now.
Nice survey, btw.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33124 by TomVW
Replied by TomVW on topic New survey ?
Hi Epicpaddler, 

I am one of the seakayakers in the survey. The main reasons to still use the seakayak are the following:

1.  When going on holiday at the seaside, only the seakayak fits in the garage of the apartment we typically stay in. I also feel safe in a wider range of sea and wind states when paddling alone in the seakayak compared to the surfski (especially in the winter when the North Sea is not the most desirable place to go swimming)

2. Our weekly club meet on the local canal starts at 7PM, and is attended by mostly touring kayaks and youth playing kayak-polo. In winter,  it is dark outside, I I appreciate the extra stability when paddling at night and exchanging pleasantries with fellow kayakers.

3. Also, a seakayak cockpit is warmer and dryer than a surfski when it's cold and wet outside.

4. Now and then, I enjoy a leisurely paddle (mostly in group then) with a Greenland paddle and some rolling practice (a smooth butterfly roll can be so satisfying...)

Other than that, I must admit that the seakayak mostly stays on its cradles and I enjoy the surfski more as a fitness tool. Between March and October, I almost exclusively use the surfski.

Oh yes, one more thing: friends and family are immediately at ease in a seakayak on flat water. So the seakayaks gets loaned now and then...

Tom

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #33127 by MCImes
My bad, I forgot Nelo! looks like people have been writing it in though.
As for the paddle size just round up or down based on if you think you would like a slightly larger or smaller paddle.
I came up with this in like 20 minutes so there were a couple small mistakes you'll have to forgive. I can add a question, but you cant go back and answer only new questions so it throws off the numbers somewhat.

something I just learned from the survey - Which continent does New Zealand fall under?
Per google: New Zealand is not part of the continent of Australia, but of the separate, submerged continent of Zealandia. New Zealand and Australia are both part of the Oceanian sub-region known as Australasia, with New Guinea being in Melanesia.

I want to know, who are the contrarians that selected No to is ss.info the best. You like angry crabs in your shorts?! 

Also surprised how many people can store a 7m+ boat. I have always had a garage at my disposal but never with more than 21ft /6.55m long, and currently only 5.8m long. I'm jealous of all your long garages! (but its probably good for my marriage as it controls the number of boats I can have)

Another thing i glean from the results, a third of people consider 46cm / 18" beam the ideal boat and 55% of people consider a 46 or 48cm boat ideal. I fall into that category too but its encouraging me to seek out a Swordfish in place of my XT. Seems you can be near the top of a race (with good physical conditioning) in a 46cm boat. 

Interesting insights overall

More
5 years 5 months ago #33128 by Henning DK
Replied by Henning DK on topic New survey ?
If there was a direct link to the results, I overlooked it:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe-raCz...Vl-eEA/viewanalytics
:-)

More
5 years 5 months ago #33134 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic New survey ?
Hey. great job Marcus! 

Latest Forum Topics