Seat Heights

More
5 years 4 months ago #33232 by owenfromwales
Seat Heights was created by owenfromwales
Just a thought. When we look at the specs for any given ski that we are interested in, we usually go by width, length, weight, rocker, flashy colours, etc. Some makers give hight or depth of seat measurements. Whilst it's nice to know how far you will fall when climbing back in, or how much water to expect to be able to come over the sides, I'm surprised makers never seem to give heights for seat bottoms.
Personally, I love a deep seat that I can pad up to exactly the height I want.
If makers were to include height above underside of ski, especially if did the same for footwells, it could really help to get an idea of a ski, even before paddling it. It shouldn't take too much to work out. Sitting in a K1 with no seat would have a height of about +/- 0.1CM, a really low ski seat height might be +/- 0.5 and so on. A ski with low footwells and a higher bucket could be shown as such.
Just throwing it out there (cos it's been bugging me for years!)

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #33233 by paddlepop
Replied by paddlepop on topic Seat Heights
i totally agree that the relationship between bum and heel height can be a very important comfort factor.  coming from a custom wave ski background we would always design around foot well depth, leg length, seat height and thickness of seat pads.  the only thing you can alter with a pop out surf/ocean ski is the leg length

More
5 years 4 months ago #33260 by SurfskiEstonia
Replied by SurfskiEstonia on topic Seat Heights
A very reasonable proposition!! I personally really enjoy a high seat, especially if it's comfortable straight from the factory. For me pads prevent from natural blood flow. But having two additional measures: seat height and footwell height would make a great addition for comparing skis on paper!!

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
5 years 4 months ago #33262 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Seat Heights
Any chance the volume could be included too?!

Latest Forum Topics