Epic footboard protection strip

More
5 years 2 months ago #33375 by paddlepop
my V5 came with a pair of ill fitting rubber pads like a U shaped weather seal.  i haven't got a photo of them so i don't know if they're a standard item.  anyhow, they never stayed in place and were subsequently lost overboard.  i'm now using multiple layers of cloth tape which is better than scraping the fibreglass. does any one have a better solution?  
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33377 by mickeyA
The “U” shaped rubber pads are standard and work well IF they stay on.  I have had 2 come loose, though did not lose them. Hot glued them back on, so fine for now.  I do expect I will lose one at some point, though, and was wondering what I would do then.  So I too am interested in what others do for protection, which it certainly needs with tons of friction.  PVC tape may be better than cloth tape (is that what I call duct tape?)

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 2 months ago #33378 by Fath2o
 A bead of polyurethane sealant applied to the bottom of the foot board and allowed to completely cure may be a good solution. 

More
5 years 2 months ago #33379 by paddlepop
thanks for those suggestions, keep 'em coming.  Epic really need to solve the problem for us with better original parts

More
5 years 2 months ago #33380 by nwsurfskier
After going through several of the epic rubber pads using various types of glue I gave up and now use duct tape. 

More
5 years 2 months ago #33381 by PSwitzer
For years on Epic and now Think, I've used a pad of sturdy (Gorilla brand) duct tape folded over so it's 4-8 layers thick, no need to stick it to the bottom of the footwell, the pressure from the footplate will keep it in place.  Position is a couple mm extending towards the paddler and a few cm extending towards the bow.  If it's thick enough, the footplate locks in and doesn't move at all.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33382 by paddlepop
i can see how that would work and i'll give it a try.  the only problem is that sometimes (panic stations maybe) i'll push on the pedals so hard that the footboard assembly tilts forward around the pivot points on the tracks.  this would allow any padding not stuck down underneath to move.  it would be nice to hear from an Epic spokesperson on the subject.  on the Hobie kayak/sup/sailing forum, their representative is very active and helpful

More
5 years 2 months ago #33386 by Fath2o
Tape is not going to be a good long term solution. It will eventually fail and leave a nasty sticky residue that also attracts dirt and sand that will be embedded in the tape and tape adhesive. It will be a pain to remove. 
NWsurskier did you try a POLYURETHANE adhesive sealant equivalent to
3M 5200?   I doubt the rubber pads would come undone with this kind of glue.
Again, I think a bead of this sealant alone would solve the problem long term and, sure look a hell of a lot better than tape. I have quite a bit of experience with this product.
It is only designed to be used for  PERMANENT applications and will actually remove gelcoat and fiberglass if you try to remove once cured. Haven't tried it for this application and I could be completely wrong. Good luck.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #33387 by surfski808
had the same issue with an early Think Evo, tried all the tape, rubber etc nothing worked, got a $2.oo plastic  placemat or
you could use a thin cutting board from Ikea, place the whole mat under the footboard, I didn't need to secure 
it at all and it lasted ages......finally fixed the problem bought Stellar skis
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by surfski808.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33390 by paddlepop
there's a lesson here for all manufacturers of any product category, price or quality.  it's no use getting it 99% right when that other 1% pisses off the owner so much that they sell and change brands forever.  with 3d printers it should be cheap and easy to make bespoke pads to do the job and stay on! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: nwsurfskier

More
5 years 2 months ago #33393 by Steve Hansen
Respectfully disagree. Every product has to weigh quality verses price point. There's always going to be that 1% that can break anything. I've never heard of anyone bending a rudder T-bar in twenty five years of paddling surfskis. I'm sure it happens but probably not often. I'm guessing you are doing something wrong technique wise if you are pressing hard enough to bend the T-bar. Generally speaking subtle input on the rudder is better than radical input. The rudder can only do so much. I'm not sure if you are surfing shore break or wind waves but there's more to steering than the rudder: body english and boat speed (broaching) are two.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33395 by nwsurfskier
It was a couple of years ago when I tried the adhesive so I don't remember. The 5200 may be the way to go. However the tape has lasted over 2 years, paddled in salt water 3-4 times a week. It's the "gorilla" brand tape that someone above in this thread recommended. 

More
5 years 2 months ago #33403 by Cryder
Can't stand the stock footboard tabs. They typically make it one or two paddles and then start to crack / break and wash away... So I take a two-fold approach that holds up well for about 1 season (11 months of hard paddling / racing). First option: I take a 1" wide x 4" long super tough (female side) velcro strip and epoxy it to the carbon footboard in a similar shape to the stock rubber tabs - I then sandwich the footpad over the top. I then take a 6" x 10" wide closed cell foam pad (.25") and lay it in the footwell. This helps keep the footboard locked in place, allows for better heal grip / leg drive. The pad also tends to lengthen the life of the velcro tabs on the footboard. Eventually, both the footwell pad and the velcro brake down. But the epoxy doesn't leave a messy residue, and just needs a light scuff before the next strip is applied. 

Cheers, 

Nicholas Cryder
www.fasterfarther.com 

More
5 years 2 months ago #33408 by paddlepop
i'd love to see a photo of that Nicholas

More
5 years 2 months ago #33409 by SpaceSputnik
The ducttape will stay a lot better if you use long strips. Mine starts at the bottle holder recession and runs all the way to the front of the bucket. Ducktape is sticky enough to stay, it's just all the heel sliding over the edge of it makes it come off very soon. Just extending it removes the edges from under your heels. Stays a lot better on my V7 (I also taped it heavier than on the pic).

Latest Forum Topics