Nelo Viper 46 SOT

More
4 years 7 months ago #34927 by pprin
Replied by pprin on topic Nelo Viper 46 SOT
I have done test paddles in both and really liked them.  I would say that the flat water stability and ergonomics are similar.  The Viper 46 SOT has the same hull as the Viper 46 which Nelo seems to class as a master's K1 or fitness boat.  It is far more stable than their other marathon or masters boats (Quattro Classic or Vintage).  Sitting in the 46 SOT feels like a K1 in terms of the really narrow catch but feels like a Nelo ski in terms of the seating position (lower than a K1 but perhaps higher than other manufacturer's skis).  There is no hump so great for leg drive.

In terms of differences to the 550, it has negligible rocker and would likely perform less well in waves.  I paddled the 46 SOT in a lake in a light wind for a few km and really enjoyed the ergonomics and glide.  Seems like a great boat for flat water and if it gets choppy you don't have the same concerns you would have in a K1.  The bailer works well - same design as their surfskis.  

I think the 46 SOT would be better than the 550 for a pure flat water boat in terms of glide but I have zero data to back that up.  My GPS numbers were similar in both boats.  The 550 would likely be more versatile but it won't meet ICF length rules.  I am 5'10 (178cm) and 180lbs (80kg).  Not sure how the 46 SOT would be for someone larger but I was nowhere near too heavy.

-pprin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #34931 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Nelo Viper 46 SOT
These boats look great - someone here said bailers aren't allowed.

That seems strange. I know people who have pumps fitted and I've seen bailers on open canoes. This is in the UK. I've just searched the canoe racing handbook and neither are mentioned.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #34932 by uk gearmuncher
Replied by uk gearmuncher on topic Nelo Viper 46 SOT

mrcharly wrote: These boats look great - someone here said bailers aren't allowed.

That seems strange. I know people who have pumps fitted and I've seen bailers on open canoes. This is in the UK. I've just searched the canoe racing handbook and neither are mentioned.

You could race it in the UK. Surfski's are already allowed in marathon/Hasler races in particular here. In fact, my own personal debate between the 550 and the Viper was based on wanting to race it in a few next year.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36423 by Paddle California
Replied by Paddle California on topic Nelo Viper 46 SOT
We have a review on the Nelo Viper 46 surfski - on our website here:
nelous.com/blogs/nelo-usa-west-coast-blo...er-46-surfski-review

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #36434 by uk gearmuncher

Paddle California wrote: We have a review on the Nelo Viper 46 surfski - on our website here:
nelous.com/blogs/nelo-usa-west-coast-blo...er-46-surfski-review

It's great to finally have someone review the boat - I've liked the look of this one for a while and I already love my 550L. However, it would be nice if we could get a balanced review for a change - i.e. pro's, con's, limitations and not just an elaboration of the marketing brochure.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36453 by Paddle California
Replied by Paddle California on topic Nelo Viper 46 SOT

uk gearmuncher wrote: However, it would be nice if we could get a balanced review for a change - i.e. pro's, con's, limitations and not just an elaboration of the marketing brochure.

Thanks for the feedback, we have updated our Viper 46 Surfski Review - with a pro's and con's section. If you have specific questions about the boat - write them in the comments on the blog post and we will be happy to answer them for you.
That link to the review again:  nelous.com/blogs/nelo-usa-west-coast-blo...er-46-surfski-review
The following user(s) said Thank You: uk gearmuncher

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #36458 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic Nelo Viper 46 SOT

mrcharly wrote: These boats look great - someone here said bailers aren't allowed.

(yes, I know I'm a bit late with this reply ...)

Someone may have been referring to the ICF rules for marathon racing (www.canoeicf.com/sites/default/files/rules_marathon_2019.pdf), which says

3.5.1.aManually operated pumps may be fitted in both canoes and kayaks;

3.5.1.bBailers which interrupt the line of the hull are not permitted;

Not all marathon races apply strict ICF rules of course, but if you want to be sure you'll be allowed to participate in any race you want, you may want to take those paragraphs into account.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by ErikE.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #36460 by uk gearmuncher

Paddle California wrote:

uk gearmuncher wrote: However, it would be nice if we could get a balanced review for a change - i.e. pro's, con's, limitations and not just an elaboration of the marketing brochure.

Thanks for the feedback, we have updated our Viper 46 Surfski Review - with a pro's and con's section. If you have specific questions about the boat - write them in the comments on the blog post and we will be happy to answer them for you.
That link to the review again:  nelous.com/blogs/nelo-usa-west-coast-blo...er-46-surfski-review

Nice touches ! Thanks for taking the time and making the effort - much appreciated.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37243 by Olsson
I appreciate Nelo is offering the Viper 46 in a "ski" version. But, it is offered with L bucket,  suitable only for paddlers over 75 kg, and XXL > 90 kg only. No bucket size for the great majority of medium weight, and size, paddlers. Strange that is. I hope Nelo will offer the ML size bucket for the average paddler soon. Same goes for the Nelo 540, it is not offered with ML size bucket, hence it`s not intended for the average paddler, in my opinion.

And, I hope Nelo may offer the Nelo 48 in a "ski" version in near future. That  would be an attractive and safe boat for the fitness paddlers.

Latest Forum Topics