Leaking Epic Bailer

More
4 years 10 months ago #34226 by M.v.E.
Leaking Epic Bailer was created by M.v.E.
I have an Epic Bailer in my old Stellar SR Ski that leaks ! Water is visibly seeping in when it´s closed. It has been installed
2 years ago and the Ski hasn´t been used that much since then.  I don´t mind when I am paddling on the ocean since there is a lot of water coming in anyway but when I am paddling on flatwater especially in the wintertime it´s a bit annoying.  Any suggestions what I can do to solve that problem ?

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34228 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Leaking Epic Bailer
I don't own an Epic, so I'm not sure what their bailers look like. That being said, if they are similar to Andersen bailers, there should be a seal. You might try to oil this seal or to replace it (very easy to do on an Andersen bailer).
Edit : I also paddle outrigger canoes, and we have our 6 man canoes equipped with andersen bailers. The seal gets dry if you don't use it for a few weeks. Any oil does the trick. I've used anything from WD40 to coconut oil...
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Hiro.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34232 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Leaking Epic Bailer
I don't recall seals on the bailer of my V7. It just tight fitting plastic parts as far as I can see. Maybe just worn.
Lubrication seems like a good idea. Maybe use a drysuit zipper lube like TiZip lube. It is applied to the plastic TiZip zippers and it does make them fully waterproof. Non-lubrcated TiZips eventually leak.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34234 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Leaking Epic Bailer
Yes there is a rubber seal and I always make sure that there is no dirt or sand in it. The bailer is not very old and the boat hasn´t been used that much. Thanks for the advice  to put lube on it. I will try that!

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34244 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Leaking Epic Bailer
Just a note, the bailers out there especially the ski specific ones are NOT designed to be 100% waterproof.

They are a drag reduction system that can be operated by the foot to let the water that comes in out of the footwell with the most efficiency without loosing a stroke and very quickly. 

The best way to look after the bailer is to leave it slightly open when not in use (first notch). Being constantly closed will compress the rubber seal which will then take time to return to the uncompressed state when you use it.

Epic stopped using the Anderson bailer as it was not ideal for a ski as it had sharp edges and could hurt you quite badly if you were washed over it, plus it was not foot activated. A very good bailer but not 100% suited to a ski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
4 years 10 months ago #34246 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Leaking Epic Bailer

Epic stopped using the Anderson bailer as it was not ideal for a ski as it had sharp edges and could hurt you quite badly

I can confirm it has sharp edges... I got a few stitches under my foot from the bailer in our OC6... I have since learned to paddle with booties on !

More
1 year 8 months ago #40078 by JustForFun
Replied by JustForFun on topic Leaking Epic Bailer
When fully closed my Epic Bailer is letting in a bit too much water. Is there a seal or o-ring type of thing that can be applied to reduce the water flow?

Latest Forum Topics