Greenland paddle basics

More
4 years 7 months ago #35058 by mickeyA
Even though I have paddled for 10 yrs with very low elbows with intent of avoiding injury, I am now experiencing soreness in my right shoulder. I am thinking about switching to a Greenland paddle, at least until soreness is gone. Other than borrowing one and being shocked that it actually propelled me, I know nothing about Greenland paddles. What length should I get?  I paddle brasca IV at 211 with the most flexible shaft (Surfski shaft).  Wood or carbon fiber?  If wood, what type of wood?  Weight a variable?  Any thoughts appreciated. 

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #35059 by Wingnut
Replied by Wingnut on topic Greenland paddle basics
Western Red Cedar is one of the best materials (monolithic not laminated). 

Check out qajaqusa.org for more information on fit. Used properly the paddle will have a strong catch and I'm guessing you'll be best off with the cedar paddle which is light and flexible. You can also buy them in carbon fiber as you noted.  Western Red Cedar flexes such that it reduces some of the shock you feel when you first start your pull after planting the paddle.  

Wingnut
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Wingnut. Reason: More info

More
4 years 7 months ago #35061 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Greenland paddle basics
A greenland paddle will definitely ease the pain on your shoulder. I tore my rotator cuff in June and just now am able to paddle again. I eased back into paddling my surfski with a greenland paddle. It looks silly, but worked surprisingly well. I could go for hours with almost no shoulder pain. I returned to my wing paddle last week and the pain is still pretty intense. The funny thing is it hurts like hell for the first 5 miles, but after my muscles are properly warmed up it doesn't seem as bad. Unless you are racing, I think the greenland stick is an awesome way to get back on the water pain free.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #35062 by Steve Hansen
Perhaps you have already tried but I would spend some time addressing the shoulders. YouTube is full of videos on shoulder stretching, flexibility and strengthening. I suffer periodically from impingement issues and even considered rotator cuff surgery. I'm 66 years old and I'm a very high level leg amputee that crutches full time. I also swim a couple of miles a week and paddle a couple of hours a week. My shoulders take a beating. I still have to be careful not to over do it but religiously stretching and working on flexibility has worked wonders. Swimming irritates my shoulder the most I think because of the range of motion. In the end, you really can't be too flexible as you age. Good luck.    
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Steve Hansen. Reason: spelling

More
4 years 7 months ago #35104 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Greenland paddle basics
How far apart are your hands, on a wing paddle?  I ordered a GP, says it has a “loom” of 22 inches (longest they had).  I’ve not received it yet and while paddling my Brasca VIII wing, I noticed I have needed at least 30” of shaft length (blades a very long on this paddle) as my pinky fingers barely hit the blade necks.  Now I am about to get a GP that only has 22” of shaft length??  So I tried holding my brasca as if it were only 22” of shaft to simulate what I was about to use.   Hands felt very close.  BUT, I got used to it and I don’t think I lost any speed. Cadence up, power maybe down a bit, but speed about same. And it seems a lot less stress on shoulders, which is why I am testing GP.  Bottom line, how wide are your hands supposed to be, on a wing?  I wonder if my hands have been too far apart all along.  I am 6’.  Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
4 years 7 months ago #35106 by Wingnut
I don't know if Greg Stamer is still checking in on this site, he would be a great one to ask.  I no longer have a GP to measure loom length.  I made 3 or 4 paddles years ago and I think my loom length was around 21" or 22".  If you don't get other responses you might want to ask on a Greenland paddle website.  I hope you really like your paddle!

-wingnut

More
4 years 7 months ago #35107 by SpaceSputnik
With a wing 20 something inches is too close. Everyone I talked to including Big O and Kenny Rice said to hold it so your elbows are at 90% when you keep the paddle on top of your head. Kenny had me wrap the grip areas with tape and always keep my hands there.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #35109 by Wingnut
The link below could be helpful.  You have to consider the Greenland paddle a little differently since it's such a different paddle.
www.qajaqusa.org/Equipment/paddles.html

-wingnut
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Wingnut. Reason: Spelling error

Latest Forum Topics