Gotta have side handle!

More
3 years 10 months ago #36699 by [email protected]
Just chatted with Oscar Chalupsky.

The new handles are made from carbon/epoxy.  Of course he can't comment on the robustness of other skis!  But it does mean they should attach solidly.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #36700 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Gotta have side handle!
I have a 550 with recessed side handles and I found them to be great. Now that I have a non-Nelo ski without handles I bought some transparent shower non-slip tape (3M Safety 7641 Shower Tread, 2-Inch to be specific) and taped a long strip to the top-inside of the cockpit on each side. I use it to pick the ski up from the ground and to hold it under the outdoor showers at the harbor to rinse the ski, and it works great. Especially when the ski and fingers are wet it eliminates slippage.
The advantages of the tape over the recessed handles are that it's much longer so you can lift the ski in more places, that it's removable, cheaper, and more readily available. The cons are that the handle is at the center of gravity so provides a reference for where you should probably lift from and the handles are a bit more secure. I have not found either the handles or the tape to bother in any way. The tape, being clear on white bucket background, is visually pretty well integrated (arguably less obtrusive than the brown handles).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
3 years 10 months ago #36703 by SpaceSputnik
That can be a good option for my SES. The walls are so skinny, there's absolutely no way that it can have any sort of a handle.

tve wrote: I have a 550 with recessed side handles and I found them to be great. Now that I have a non-Nelo ski without handles I bought some transparent shower non-slip tape (3M Safety 7641 Shower Tread, 2-Inch to be specific) and taped a long strip to the top-inside of the cockpit on each side. I use it to pick the ski up from the ground and to hold it under the outdoor showers at the harbor to rinse the ski, and it works great. Especially when the ski and fingers are wet it eliminates slippage.
The advantages of the tape over the recessed handles are that it's much longer so you can lift the ski in more places, that it's removable, cheaper, and more readily available. The cons are that the handle is at the center of gravity so provides a reference for where you should probably lift from and the handles are a bit more secure. I have not found either the handles or the tape to bother in any way. The tape, being clear on white bucket background, is visually pretty well integrated (arguably less obtrusive than the brown handles).

More
3 years 10 months ago #36704 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Gotta have side handle!
On a related note I have a transport sleeve on mine. Mainly due to difficult loading/unloading situation at home which is high impact risk. This means i can't hold by the footstrap, the sock slides and so makes manhandling  the ski in its sock slippery as sock will slide under your grip. To get around this I use a a short cam strap, sometimes two, which I attach around girth of  hull. This gives a firm strap to grab hold of where it crosses the foot well or seat bucket. If I anticipate a tricky cart to water and back I can attach this to bare hull then just pop the strap in my PFD pocket whist on the water. Just a thought if you are thinking of detachable strap arrangement
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #36713 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Gotta have side handle!
Great idea Waverider. I have those stretchy sock covers to fit all of my skis (except the double) but I virtually never use them because they make the ski an absolute bastard of a thing to carry.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Atlas.

Latest Forum Topics