Gen 3 v10 vs Gen 2 v10 flatwater speed

More
4 years 1 month ago #36155 by Epicpaddler
I know this topic has been addressed before, but most questions are geared toward the downwind performance of the g3 Epic v10. 

I'm looking to move up from a v8pro for mostly flat(ish) water racing. Since the g2 v10's can be had relatively cheaply would it be better to pick up a g2 v10 for racing, or the spend the extra $$ on the g3 v10 for better all around performance? I do very little "real" downwind paddling. 

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: PharmGeek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36159 by PharmGeek
im interested in replies....

More
4 years 1 month ago #36163 by Dicko
I've owned both. Firstly, flat water racing is rarely flat. There is usually some sidechop, boat wakes etc,etc.

Both boats would be similar flat water speed. However, if there are any bumps or sidechop, the gen 3 will be faster, Basically because it is more stable. The gen 2 will not catch small runs. ...at all.

The gen 3 is lighter. I found my gen 2 to be very heavy.

The gen 2 will be much faster than your v8, but it was a very idiosyncratic boat. Paddling with the same group every day, some days I'd be in front, other days I'd be 200 metres behind.  If it was flat it was ok. If there were small bumps it was hard work. 

They are relatively cheap because they weren't a popular boat. If you are paddling genuinely flat water, get one. Check the weight because the black nose version was heavy

• rhainan
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #36170 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Gen 3 v10 vs Gen 2 v10 flatwater speed
In general, they should go at the same speed.  Under a microscope you may have to give the nod to gen2 on the flat and to the gen3 on downwind.  That difference is impossible to measure and open to subjective interpretation.  No kayak is optimized for all conditions.

The V10 Gen2 was the most popular advanced/elite surfski in the world.  You may find them less expensive on the used market because a lot of them were made and the oldest ones have been around for awhile now.

The gen2 V10 would be the logical step for you after the V8 Pro.  It may take you some time to master it in anything but very flat conditions. 

More
4 years 1 month ago #36171 by Epicpaddler
I've paddled a v10 the day I demoed the v10 sport and v8pro. It had amazing glide, but felt a bit twitchy. I'm sure compared to paddling my v8pro in monster waves the v10 on flatwater would feel fine. The dealer who sold me the v8pro mentioned the Vega flex and the Think Evo 3 as contenders too. There are no surfski dealers near me so demoing boats can be challenging. My area has Epic "pros", who I guess can order boats for demo, but no other brands are in my area.

Latest Forum Topics