Wanted Jantex Gamma

More
3 years 6 months ago #37325 by kwolfe
Wanted Jantex Gamma was created by kwolfe
So my barely used Epic small mid is on its way to a new home so I’d course I need to spend that money on another toy!

Thought I would check here first to see if anyone has a Gamma Rio that they are looking to part with.  Was thinking the medium minus with the soft shaft.  

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37353 by Bearded
Replied by Bearded on topic Wanted Jantex Gamma
Did you try both the Gamma and the Gamma Rio?

The reason I ask is that, having tried both of them back to back (same size, same green shaft, same Swordfish, same sea), it was my impression that Gamma has the better catch. Naturally, it's a bit less forgiving for the same reason, but feels much faster. Rio somehow felt like Gamma had a child with Epic mid... Felt like a compromise

Obviously all of that can, and maybe should, be ascribed to my forward stroke idiosyncrasies.

The reason I know what an Epic feels like is that I paddled it for 2.5 years up until the moment its burgundy shaft broke in two, just as I was trying to grab a paddlefull of "clean" water of the back of a 1.2 meter wave which just began to make me surf it backwards. No contact with anything hard, just a very powerful stroke (I really didn't want to surf in reverse), is all it took. If I sound bitter 2 years later, it's probably because I am. One expects betrayal from people, but paddles? I washed it with fresh water after every session, never dropped it, and it almost killed my boat. Oh well. Try the Gamma before you commit

More
3 years 6 months ago #37355 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Wanted Jantex Gamma
Interesting feedback for sure.  I guess I'd be open to a gamma as well.  I currently use an Epic Mid 95% of the time.  I also have a Maxpaddle Jtech that a got a couple of years ago and rarely use it however I did take it out this morning.  I'd be interested if anyone here has used the Jtech and can compare it to Jantex.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37357 by pnwpaddler
Replied by pnwpaddler on topic Wanted Jantex Gamma
I also used an Epic mid for years until the neck of the blade cracked on me. I also went with the Jantex Gamma Rio medium minus, soft shaft. Never tried a Gamma. I did also demo an Epic small mid and Gamma Rio small plus before buying. The Rio catch felt so much more stable than the Epic and the release at the exit much cleaner. I went with the medium minus because the slightly bigger size better suited my technique; little bit lower stroke rate and more power for late race attacks.

Latest Forum Topics