More
3 years 1 month ago #38141 by Daddyovb
Newbie was created by Daddyovb
Looking for my first surfski — mostly for fitness in a relatively protected bay. Currently paddle plastic 14 - 16 ft plastic kayaks. Leaning towards Nelo 520 or Epic V8. The big question: would anyone buy based upon reviews/price without trying one out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #38142 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Newbie
What are your goals/ambitions?

More
3 years 1 month ago #38145 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Newbi
No. The fit of paddler to bucket matters more than it does with the average kayak. Plastic 14- to 16-footers tend to be fairly wide, with fairly big seats and cockpits. While a small person can do some paddling in a too-big cockpit (still not recommended), someone who is too big for a ski probably will kick himself for not trying it first.

IBesides, in most places it is easier to sell a plastic kayak than it is a ski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daddyovb

More
3 years 1 month ago #38147 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Newbi
Trying is ideal. Depending where you live however it might be impossible or extremely difficult to do so. I have owned 6 skis and was only able to try 2 of them before buying. 

A ski feels very different from a kayak and your first time in one it might be hard to know if the fit is wrong or if that's just how surfskis are. A surfski generally requires a more upright posture than the slouching posture one might use in a more recreational kayak. There is no back support from the “bucket” during normal paddling. If you are surfing down a wave you might lean back against the rear of the seat but that is probably the only time.  

For me the most important issue is that  the bucket doesnt make my “sit bones” sore. Other people struggle with legs going numb in certain skis, hips pushing into the sides of the seat, or tailbone grinding on the back of the seat. 

For me it can take an hour of paddling in a ski for “deal breaking” discomfort to be evident. Sometimes I can tell sooner than that. Sometimes i actually have to own the ski for some months before determining if i can live with it or not. 

I have not heard many people complain about the v8 bucket. I dont know enough about the 520 to comment. In general wider boats such as those have less restrictive buckets and fit a wider range of backsides. 

Good luck!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 1 month ago #38148 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Newbi
I’ve owned 5 skis to date and I’ve only every paddle one before I purchased as well.  My first ski was a v8 and unless you are a very large or very small person I couldn’t see there being an issue.  Very small only because you would have a lot of extra space for your hips. 
I’ve also owned  a nelo 550. Not sure how that bucket compares but I run. 35 inch waste and 200lbs and I still had room.  
my our first ski will be a learning experience for sure.  You’re first point of reference!

More
3 years 1 month ago #38157 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Newbi
Problem is when you first start you have no idea whats a good fit and what isnt as you struggle to stay on them anyway. Best advice would be get something cheap second hand, then once you have got your head around them you will have a better idea of what is right or wrong for you.  It is quite  common for people to move on from their first ski within a short time

More
3 years 1 month ago #38159 by jsapan
Replied by jsapan on topic Newbi
Take with a massive grain of salt from an intermediate paddle who's currently content in his kayak...

I used to rent the 18X and would rent the V8 when the 18X wasn't available.  I found going from the Epic 18X to the V8 to extremely easy (on flat water anyhow). Although the 18x was tippier than the plastic kayaks I had paddled before, I was very comfortable in it by the time I first tried a V8.

Latest Forum Topics