Clearcoat on a ski

More
2 years 4 months ago #39300 by kwolfe
Clearcoat on a ski was created by kwolfe
I was searching the sight and saw that, for the most part, all of the ski repair discussion mention repainting skis and what to use.  I have an older Epic V14.  After paddling and I put the ski on the car, the water drops coming off the ski leave white drip marks on my hood.  I figure, because of the age of the ski and the fact that it has to live outside, it's oxidized paint.

I have washed and waxed the ski in the past but as we all know that wax coating doesn't last long.  I know it probably isn't hurting anything but is it possible to wash, lightly sand and then spray a light top coat on the ski in order to stop the oxidization?

Would probably help keep the ski cleaner as well I imagine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #39301 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Clearcoat on a ski
I'm sure it can be done, but might be cost prohibitive. I have a 2008 Necky Chatham sea kayak in full carbon with clear coat. I asked a shop about respraying the clear and they quoted me like $1500. I lightly sanded and rattle canned some clear on the rough parts of the bottom as a test. It looked amazing for about a year and than began flaking off making it look worse.

Have you tried any kind of automotive sealant glaze like the Klasse products or some of the new ceramic coating products? They might help "seal" the finish to keep the oxidation residue from dripping off with sea water.

I've been using 303 and other car finishes on my Epic v10 to help prevent oxidation happening in the first place.

More
2 years 4 months ago #39305 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Clearcoat on a ski
is it paint or gelcoat?

More
2 years 4 months ago #39306 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Clearcoat on a ski
I believe it’s gel coat. I had thought about the ceramic coat before. It would be a DIY job.  I also was considering either spray gun or spray can clear coat. Nothing crazy.

I would use a polishing compound to take off any oxidization and then something to seal it. 

Latest Forum Topics