Ocean Ski for Big Fella

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8193 by SAWHITE
G'Day,
I'm in the market for a ski that will accommodate my 6'3" 120kg frame. Being a rugby prop puts me at odds with alot of the lighter paddlers.
I have had spec skis for over 25 years and can paddle them fine. I still train on them about 3 times a week in the open ocean. I just want to get an ocean ski as I have set myself a 3 year goal of doing the Molokai crossing.
Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Cheers

Shanan
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by SAWHITE. Reason: wrong group

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8195 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
Stellar SES. My mate big Al fits into one and he would be a similar size to you. Fast, stable and well made. He has tried everything and this is about the only ski other than the old wide epic v10sport that he can get his big arse in (his words, not mine).
Get the surf rudder and make sure the rudder lines aren't slipping if you trial one.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8196 by Kayaker Greg
Really? I paddle a Stellar SES and I'm only 5'8" and 78kg and if my hips were any wider I would not fit an SES. These are made for smaller paddlers and while the new SES has a slightly wider bucket at the hips, I seriously doubt that anyone 6'3" and 120kg would fit, so best try before you buy.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8197 by SAWHITE
Replied by SAWHITE on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
Yeah, the Stellar SES info I have seen states it was designed for a smaller paddler!!!!!
Any other suggestions?

More
12 years 6 months ago #8200 by rubberDuck
One ski that I know will definitely fit your frame and weight is the Synergy 2.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8201 by Rightarmbad
You really need to give an idea of your hip width.
What boats have you sat in that the will or won't fit?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8202 by Dicko
Whoops. I meant the se. I'd like to see big Al in the ses. We'd need a crowbar to get him out.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8206 by mckengmsurfski
The first ski that came to my mind, like Dicko, was the Stellar SE. I've never paddled one but my understanding is that the are designed for bigger paddlers, pretty high volume, fast and stable as well.
A V10 Sport with the old deck/bucket would probably fit you, though it's more of an intermediate ski than a full out racer. Still a great all around ski though and probably a nice ski (if you're a mid-packer like me) to paddle in Molokai.
RAB is right, what is your hip width and what have you tried that does/doesn't work? That may make other skis in or out depending on if you'd fit them width-wise or not.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8218 by Draftbuster
I have a Stellar SE,love it.Big volume heaps of leg length and hip width.Tracks beautifully down the face of a wave without burying the nose.Worth a go.Have also paddled an Epic sport quite extensively,it too is a great little boat.More stable then the SE I don't think its as fast on the flat or when paddling over the chop in front.But in really sloppy conditions id pick the Sport.Build quality ?Id pick the Stellar brand.Everything is just so neat.The foot plate is rock solid.Food for thought.Both nice skis I chose the Stellar but when the sea gets really wild the Epic would be my choice.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8219 by SAWHITE
Thanks for all the replies so far.
I just measured my hip width and it is 39cm.
Just looking at the second hand market. Quite a few skis up for sale, any thoughts on how the DD3 stacks up and I also saw the account of the custom kayaks Zeplin. ????????

cheers

Shanan

More
12 years 6 months ago #8228 by gig
Replied by gig on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
Hi

I am 6ft with hip width of about 400mm. Oh yes and just over 125kg. I spent some time looking at all options and settled on the Custom Kayaks Horizon. Fits ok as long I am not wearing neoprene leggings. Cold in the UK. So have to wear shorts.

Stable. As to speed I do not have anything to match it against as I am a lone surf skier in Falmouth.

I think the chances of ever having a fast ocean ski for big rowers is slim.

Greg

More
12 years 6 months ago #8229 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
don't use the words ski and rowers in the same breath please B)

More
12 years 6 months ago #8240 by gig
Replied by gig on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
Sorry seem to have hit a nerve. Have also been an offshore rower for many years and nearly 50 suppose I am going senile.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8242 by Dicko
the SE is a fast boat. It would be as fast or faster than a v10.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8247 by garykroukamp
Quite a few of the bigger guys here in Cape Town are paddling the Zeplin.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8248 by Drapes
Replied by Drapes on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
I'm the aforementioned "Big Al" and Dicko is correct in saying that I'm very happy with Stellar SE. I've tried most of the boats that fit big blokes (except the Evo & the Zepplin) and have found the SE the ideal compromise of width, stability and speed.

Depending on your paddling ability the V10 Sport is also an excellent boat but I have found the Stellar to be faster.

For all those wondering about Dicko mentioning the SES - I would need two - one for each bum cheek.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Drapes. Reason: Spelling Error
The following user(s) said Thank You: SAWHITE

More
12 years 6 months ago #8249 by SAWHITE
Thanks Drapes.
I think that I will try the SE and probaly the Zepplin if I can find one in Australia.
Who sells the in NSW?

Cheers

Shanan

More
12 years 6 months ago #8250 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella
Hi Shanan,

I wouldn't discount the Synergy 2 as suggested by Rubberduck. We have a few of them at our club, and one guy paddling it is 120kg and over 2 metres tall. Its a pretty quick ski with reasonable stability and good on the runs. I've tried it and I rattle around in the bucket, so it should suit you perfectly!

Nigel

More
12 years 6 months ago #8253 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: Ocean Ski for Big Fella

SAWHITE wrote: Thanks for all the replies so far.
I just measured my hip width and it is 39cm.
Just looking at the second hand market. Quite a few skis up for sale, any thoughts on how the DD3 stacks up and I also saw the account of the custom kayaks Zeplin. ????????

cheers

Shanan

I am 6'4" at 85kg or so and my hip width is roughly the same as yours (hard to measure precisely, but it seems to come to 38-39cm). The difference would be that in my case that is the hip bones sticking out, while you may have some more "padding" and probably have much wider upper legs. For me the V10 Sport (current/new version with the narrower seat) feels fairly good and I would not mind if its seat was with slightly narrower upper area - for you it might be perfect.

I also tried the Stellar SE and felt I swam in it - the seat was not necessarily too wide but shaped in a way that did not fit me well and the cockpit in the leg area is huge (needs padding for good contact; even the V10 Sport could use a bit narrower forward portion IMO, but the SE is wider all over).

To my bottom, the V10 (non-sport, the regular) seat feels better - it is a little tighter fit than the V10 Sport so I felt more connected with the hull through the seat and through the more narrow sides where my legs are. Might be a bit tight for you ...

Sorry, have not paddled other skis that would fit you...

Latest Forum Topics