Broken rudder cable repair

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8548 by Kayaker Greg
Inspired by a fellow club members predicament when his rudder cable broke in big waves last night I have made this emergency repair system out of 4mm elastic bungy cord. Simply tie into a loop, create another smaller loop with a knot to loop around the the end of the ski, attach to the same side of the rudder lever as the good cable in any manner of simple ways, see pics for easiest methods, the tension has to be such to pull the rudder back when you release pressure from the rudder pedal, then you can steer with one foot as per normal.
The elastic loop is best left either in the front of the ski tied to something or tied to the rear bungys so that you are sure to have it when needed.
No ski modifications needed.

OK for some reason the pics are not loading but I will keep working on this.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8549 by Kayaker Greg
OK, not sure why but I can't upload the photos, sorry.

Can someone please try this link, not sure if it will allow people to see the pics on my facebook page or not.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.171183...&type=1&l=aa49eda462
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8550 by Rightarmbad
Yep, works for me.

Good idea.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8551 by Rightarmbad
Yep, works for me.

Good idea.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #8552 by Rightarmbad
Doubly good it seems. How did that happen?

More
12 years 5 months ago #8560 by AR_convert
Gold star!!! Simple, cheap & effective! Certainly a predicament I wouldn't like to find myself in offshore. One of our guys had his rudder let go in flat water and it was comical seeing him try to keep it moving straight without any wind or waves acting on the ski.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #8561 by Rightarmbad
I can sympathize.
I once paddled a V10 sport all the way up Tallie creek when the girl that was paddling it broke it's rudder clean off and was struggling to control it so we swapped.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 5 months ago #8563 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re: Broken rudder cable repair
KG: Fantastic! All this nonsense of drilling holes into a ski to connect a bungee is rubbish. I'd give this a 10/10 - as opposed to your pdf-mast-light idea ;)

More
12 years 5 months ago #8565 by Geofff
Outstanding; thanks! I recently had to paddle 8k's without any rudder so I'm keen to do anything to prevent something like that happening again. As an aside, I was quite surprised (thinking about it I shouldn't have been) how much stability the rudder gives.

If you feel like a laugh at my stupidity, have a look at the below video from 6:30 on.

www.youtube.com/gpaddling#p/u/6/GgeeSMe2U5s

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8568 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Broken rudder cable repair
I use a rubber strip (cut from a bike inner tube) to do the trick.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Hiro.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8571 by Boof Head
I lost control of my right hand foot pedal about halfway through Sunday's King of the Coast. A very difficult chore to the finish. The rope /knot slipped but with my right leg pushing hard against the footplate and my toes fully extended to keep enough pressure on the pedal I finished. Lots of broaching and multiple swampings, leg cramp and a dunking. Hard yards. Looking forward to checking out your solution when I can get access to facebook.
cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago #8574 by owenw
Simple, cheap, effective - nothing more to say

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
12 years 4 months ago #8896 by Paddle Lennox
Checked link - all good many thanks.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9111 by jo.rademeyer
Great! Making one for my river k1 too, clever okes surfski'ers are!

Latest Forum Topics