Stellar SE Steering Setup

More
12 years 4 months ago #8895 by Paddle Lennox
I know this has been done before but can't find the original post. My boat is 2009 Stellar SE model. Previous owner modified steering lie tie up. Steering response is woeful! How can I set it up properly and can I use wire lines? My Fenn XT double has brilliant steering? Why hasn't the Stellar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8897 by tony h
new stellar surf rudder recommended - balanced vs front shaft
see attached pic
I had my spectra (too stretchy) changed to cable (more direct)
see other attached pic

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paddle Lennox

More
12 years 4 months ago #8898 by tony h
in addition, every brand has strengths & weaknesses.........stellar SE won't turn as well as Fenn

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #8899 by Kayaker Greg
A few weeks ago we discussed not using the lower holes in the pedals as the hole is too high and creates to much opposing leverage as it pulls the pedals forward and creates friction on the rudder lines where they enter the hull. When one pedal and line needs to push forward the other pedal and line needs to pull back, the lower hole in the pedal creates a lot of resistance making response sluggish. Remove the lines from the bottom hole in the pedal and tie of the lines at the top of the pedal. This requires a light elastic cord to hold the pedal up but creates a self centring effect. This works very well to help response when used with the newer rudder.
Due to the lack of rocker the hull will not turn as quick on tight turns as some skis that have more rocker, but the steering response can be improved a lot by doing both of these changes.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8901 by Paddle Lennox
Thanks for the advice. My ski has an 8" surf rudder - do I need to change it? Can I replace the cord with wire?

More
12 years 4 months ago #8902 by Kayaker Greg
I haven't changed to wire. Have a look at Tony's pics in the post above, the new rudder has the post moved back, its the rudder on the far left, the old one with the post on the leading edge is next to it. This makes a big difference to how it responds.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8907 by Paddle Lennox
Many thanks Greg I'll try what you have suggested Cheers

Latest Forum Topics