Hydration...

More
12 years 3 months ago #9583 by coldwater
Hydration... was created by coldwater
I'm interested to hear what hydration systems paddlers are using to keep hydrated...?
A camelbak bladder stuffed in behind the rudder pedals?!
Are there any specific hydration systems that aren't too bulky & fit into a ski?
Be interesting to hear various opinions...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9584 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Hydration...
Yep but I use a Platypus bladder that has the quick release fittings. The hose stays in the boat attached between the pedals and I usually find a 2 litre bladder is plenty although I do have 3 litre bladders as well. A clip attaches the mouth piece to my hi viz top, it can pull off easy enough when I capsize. Tried the bladder on the back and found it was pulling me back creating strain on my hip flexors trying to hold myself forward. I also have a spare fitting to attach to the end of the hose when I remove the bladder to keep the water in the line clean.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9589 by smilicus
Replied by smilicus on topic Re: Hydration...
There is also now hydration gels on the market which comes in an easy to use, light and small sachet. Keep it in the front poach of your pfd and just tear off and gulp down. Please remember - dont litter our oceans, so take home what you take out on the water.

If you are not used to the gels, use them before hand a few times during training to see the effect it will have on race day. One friend of mine is a marathon runner and on race day decided to change to the gels, big mistake since he has been training with liquid all the time and he did not do as well as normal. But after using the gels while training, he was down to his normal time..

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
12 years 3 months ago #9596 by waterbornewarrior
Replied by waterbornewarrior on topic Re: Hydration...
2nd the Platypus, but I mount it on the hump, under / beneath my legs. Velcro on the Platypus, velcro on the hump. This results in a shorter tube, no interference with my feet / pedals, and you can futz with the bag and tube if any problems arise. I can feel the bag during leg drive when it's full, but after the first few gulps, it's barely noticeable. Seems like having the weight closer to your body is more ideal than having it more forward.

Don

More
12 years 3 months ago #9597 by coldwater
Replied by coldwater on topic Re: Hydration...
Sounds good...how is the water flow on the platypus mouthpiece?
Do you have to really 'haul' on it to get a sip...?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9598 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: Hydration...
Water flow on the platypus is fine. They're inexpensive, well made, and most of the parts are replaceable/interchangeable. I have 2 hoses and about 4 different bladder sizes that I can use depending on what I need for the given paddle.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9599 by Kayaker Greg
Really no effort to suck at all. Can't say I ever have to fuss with the bladder, its contained in front of the pedals by some cord x crossed about the front pedal rail which I fitted to create a net effect, the hose is also no issue and having to change out of my V10l because the hump was too high for me I certainly do not want to build it up again with a bladder and prefer to have the weight as low as possible and forward to counter the extreme squat I get from my immense paddling power (just kidding) but whatever works for each individual.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9600 by waterbornewarrior
Replied by waterbornewarrior on topic Re: Hydration...
Should have mentioned, I use the Camelbak Big Bite, as it works much better for me than the Platy Hyperflow (they are interchangeable). The CB is fool proof, you just have to get some pressure on it and it flows well, whereas the Platy requires a more precise bite and has a clunkier mouth feel. I used to be on a consumer advisory board for Cascade Designs (maker of Platy), and complained about this, and they said, "yeah, we know!"

More
12 years 3 months ago #9601 by coldwater
Replied by coldwater on topic Re: Hydration...
So is the standard Platypus hose long enough to go from in front of rudder pedals to mouth?
Or is there an extended hose available?
Thanks guys.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9602 by Kayaker Greg
Its just long enough for me but I'm only 5'8" if your taller or not very flexible (im not that either) it might be a bit short, however would not be hard to add a bit to the length. Also if your taller and depending on your ski you might find there is not enough space in front of your peddles for a bladder, there is with my leg length and Stellar SES. Taller paddlers the extra height of the bladder under the legs might not be a problem as per wbw's method.
The hose is long enough to clip to my shirt but you might come up with an alternative like have the hose foating between your legs, I'm not a fan of that but it might be an option for you.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

Latest Forum Topics